Painful Colonoscopy with Haemorrhoid banding

Posted , 38 users are following.

OMG how painful is this procedure??? I went to work while doing the bowel prep, wasnt advised not to and the hospital was suprised when they found out I had gone to work.

The procedure itself was nothing short of horrific, I was screaming in pain and begging them to stop and I heard the Dr ask 'as she calmed down yet' this is not what I wanted to hear, he could of asked if I was ok.

Anyway nothing was found except 3 internal haemorrhoids which were banded. The pain after was excruciating, I was sick and rolling around the bed in agony, not offered any pain relief. I kept saying how ill I felt and how much pain I was in and it fell on deaf ears. I was sent home with no painkillers or aftercare advice, I wasnt told what painkillers to take and advised to take a day off work due to the sedation and not the procedure.

Every painkiller I took didnt get anywhere near the pain, warm baths are the only thing that helped a little. I couldnt make work for 3 days as I say I was on a scale of 10 for pain and here I am a week later still in pain. I have chronic leg pain, stomach pain and painful bum, my skin feels tender and bruised, I just dont feel right and have chronic diarrhoea and nausea. I have to go to work today and feel so ill and tired.

I am thinking of complaining about the procedure and aftercare but dont think it will solve anything.

How have others found the banding procedure????

4 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i hàd this procedure done 10 days ago was painful but i could mangage but they havent dropped off yet does anyone know how long it takes ?

• Posted

Hi had this done yesterday under a general with a enema before on a day op. The staff were brilliant with me. I had a camera to look how bad they were and was told when I came round they are very big and will need another session of banding in 3 months. The pain when I came round was bad for me. I found that I had the feel g of pressure downstairs on my bladder and anus. I was given paracetamol but this did not really help. Once I was discharged I was given co-codamol 500mg up to 2 pills 6 times a day for pain. Metronidazole 1 pill twice a day as a antibiotic and lactulose solution 15ml once a day to help with going to the loo and passing. I have found that I was unable to get comfortable at all sitting and the only way led down was on my side with my knees coming up to my waist but this would change after 15mins and really found standing up to be less painful and almost table topping (led off the sofa with my backside off the sofa and my legs propping up my lower body) to help take pressure off my backside. I am going to take a couple of warm baths today but would also like to add that the hospital was going to sign me off work for a week but I am on annual leave for another week and did not need it, i hope this helps you all and those in the future but I will say that I did not expect this amount of pain and discomfort.
  • Posted

OMG how awful, I am having Colonoscopy next week and am terrified now after hearing your story, I don't know how long ago you posted this but I hope you are better now, or at least getting better. I would have complained about that doctor if I were you.

• Posted

I hear ya on this... Turning 50 in a month and there is NO WAY I will be booking my appt anytime soon.. WOW I never would have thought there would be problems with this. I will defiantly need to be on some good drugs to do this.. And also that stuff that you drink, hopefully it has improved with taste... My husband is doing this next week and I'm not going to say a word about any of this!!In fact, he is kinda looking forward to it as he thinks he will lose weight doing it-- ha

• Posted

I've just had banding under general anaesthetic  on Monday now it's Sunday. I Woke up from the op and was in a little pain. But by the time I was on my way home it was really bad. I wasn't given any painkillers just over the counter type I bought. 

I'm still in a lot of pain and bm is like being hit in the bum with a baseball bat. Feels very bruised. 

This is the second time I've had this done but the first time was just under sedation and didn't hurt at all

I've had a week off work now (bricklayer) and don't know when I could go back. 

I hope that this starts to feel better soon. 

• Posted

I was so glad to find this discussion yesterday, at least now I know that I am not simply weak and pathetic which is exactly how the doctors and nurses made me feel.

I had an endoscopy done which involved no pain and then banding of two hemorrhoid which was and still is painful in the extreme.

I am glad that I did not see this discussion prior to my appointment as it is mostly the really bad experiences that are recorded here so let me just put it into perspective: according to research (in the USA) only 1 in 200 (0.5%) of patients experience extreme pain. It would however be nice if medical professionals could at least recognise that it is possible that that person writhing, shaking, crying and being sick really is in pain and not just being a drama queen.

Mine was done in a German hospital, they did finally put me on a drip with what they told me was a pain killer but I am not convinced as it made no difference at all. Then they gave me ibuprofen on an empty stomach and a local anaesthetic gel. At this point I new what the effects of those tablets on my empty stomach would be so I text my husband to go get the car and a sandwich while I got dressed and told them I was now magically recovered and booked out. By the time I reached the car I was already breaking out in sweat and got a few bites of a sandwich down just in time.

Some advice for pain relief: The hospital gave me 400mg ibuprofen, 1 to be taken 3 times/day if needed 😂 Thankfully I have paracetamol and ibuprofen at home which I take alternately every 4 hours, this really helps. I also lie on my bed most of the time with a pillow under my hips to raise my butt above my heart to reduce swelling.

• Posted

I am totally with you, Winnie, I had exactly the same procedures as you a few hours ago: colonoscopy and banding of hemorrhoids in one go.

The consultant and all the friendly staff re-assured me I was not going to feel pain and, under sedation, I wasn't going to care much anyway and not remember anything after. What all that about??? Yes, I was a little dazed, but I knew exactly what they were doing, saying, I felt an exruciating pain at times during the colonoscopy (not all the time); it was like my bowels were going to burst inside me, I just couldn't contain myself even though I absolutely hate showing I'm in pain in front of medical staff.  The assistant nurse was pushing on my belly with his hands at a consultant's request every now and again (presumably to help the camera turn?) - that was awful too! I felt trapped and lied to. I said to all of them out loud that the sedation wasn't working, but they ignored me. 'Of course it's working!' 

Then, it was time for banding... On the NHS website for St.Thomas Hospital it says: ' banding is a very short, painless procedure done without sedation'. Well, I was under sedation and that was just horrendous! I gave birth naturally twice (no epidural, pethidine etc) and only screamed at the very end, but this 'painless' banding made me moan like a child! Luckily it didn't last very ling!

I just wish someone had been honest with me beforehand. Such a surprise on an operating bed is unacceptable. I would have preferred the brutal truth. 

I was in a lot of pain straight after (and still am 6 hours later) - I couldn't lie down still, I kept rolling on the bed in pain and just wanted to get up and sit on a toilet  (I find that position brings me relief), but the nurse guarding me in the recovery area insisted she had procedures to follow and that I wasn't to get up for another 30 minutes because of sedation. I told her I didn't feel sedated at all, but of course she knew better and kept me there against my will. It's not like I just had heart surgery! I felt misunderstood and trapped again. 

Then the consultant came to see me himself, which was good of him. He re-assured me the colonoscopy didn't show anything worrying (a small polyp, which he removed there and then) and the banding went well etc. 

It later turned out he went to say the same things to my husband again because he didn't think I would remember anything!!! How many times, people, I DID NOT FEEL SEDATED! 

It's just awful to think your body is the one undergoing all that stuff, but nobody is actually listening to you or treating you seriously! 

Finally, I had an encounter with a nurse who was discharging me. She did ask how I felt and how it went, but when I mentioned the sedation had not worked for me, she just smiled and said 'poor you!' 

Now I'm in an exruciating pain, I cannot find a position where I can actually think about something else than my backside. Paracetamol and ibuprofen they told me to take make hardly any difference. I was not given any leaflet or guidance how to recover 'well' after the proceure. It all feels a bit like the Wild West... I wonder how things will go tomorrow and will I get any sleep. My little girls want their mummy, who can barely move from bed to toilet at the moment! 

I think I got better info and treatment when I had my wisdom tooth removed! 

Anyway, I do not mean to scare anyone at all - it's just how it was for me. I hope you will have a different experience if you are having a similar thing done. 

If today will mark the end of my saga with hemorrhoids, I'd say: IT WAS WORTH IT! 

I had to ask for some pain relief and only got some over the counter pills, which didn't help. 

• Posted

Omg I am in New Zealand and have had an endoscopy this arvo. I didn't have any sedation and had 3 bands put on internal hemorrhoids. I was going fine until then! No pain relief then an hour drive home. I'm in agony! Taken Panadol but just lying on my side on bed and cant get any relief!

• Posted

Hi Nikki - sorry to bother you, just had it done, really sore, what did you do/take to feel better? 
    • Posted

I had three bands put in in October 23rd 2017. And just now I’m pain free. 4 months later. Was bleeding after bm for that time. 
  • Posted

I'm going to share my own horror story regarding my experience with haemorrhoid banding. I have had this procedure done three times now so far and saying it has been complete agony doesn't even come close to the pain. I've been iron anemic for about ten years now. As I've gotten older my health has deteriorated somewhat and the haemorrhoid bleeding has gotten more severe. About four years ago I was directed to a clinic that dealt with rectal problems. It cost me $600 for the procedure involving a colonoscopy and an endoscopy and two days of prep which included laxatives and no eating. That alone was a nightmare. The day of the procedure the f**kwit doctor told me what I already knew (that I had bleeding haemorrhoids) and suggested I take Metamucil. Seriously! $600 and he did nothing! Fast forward a few more years as my iron levels are dropping and I have to see the same doctor with the hopes of having banding done this time. Another $600 and two prep days with the same result. Nothing. Absolutely useless! Not to mention his staff were rude and made me feel very uncomfortable during the whole procedure. Due to that doctors incompetence I suffered with anemia for years. A few months back I was put on the public waiting system. The treating doctor did an initial check with a scope (which hurt like hell) and said he could band them with a cost of the gap in a few weeks. No prep needed just to take it easy for a few days afterward. On the day of the procedure which took about five minutes I was not prepared for the two weeks of hell that followed. Lying on the table as he did the quick procedure without any anaesthetic was excruciating! The scope was moving around in my anus so much it felt like I was going to die. He'd put air in there to inflate the bowel and the pain was unbearable. As I hopped off the table and paid him I nearly collapsed in the car park. My anus and stomach hurt so bad I literally thought I was dying. I went home and lied down in the same spot and didn't move. Absolute agony is all I can describe! The next day I went to the local hospital where they gave me a shot of morphine and an ultrasound to try and help. I even asked them to remove the banding to ease the pain. At this point I couldn't urinate or have a bowel movement because it hurt so bad. He prescribed painkillers and I had almost two weeks off of work because of it. The only thing that helped was to have a warm Epson salt bath and pee in that when I could relax. I had never been in so much pain in my life. Four weeks later I had to return for my second banding. I explained what had happened and he gave me a script for more pain killers in case it happened again and said he'll band only half the haemorrhoid to see how it goes. The second procedure once again hurt like f*****g hell. But the recovery was 99% less intense. I almost felt great. Some slight discomfort this time and almost no pain. Once again bowel movements and urinating was hard but easier this time. For the first time in years the bleeding had finally stopped when I went to the toilet. I was so relieved. It's only due to recent more bleeding that I went back for a third treatment. This time the procedure was almost as bad as the first time. I've had nearly a week off of work and endless painkillers. It's come to the point where I have to get on my hands and knees and have a horizontal bowel movement to ease the pain and help pass it. After that it's an immediate bath to relax my anus for half hour. This procedure is absolute hell on earth! Anyone who has this procedure done I fully understand the pain you're going through. You're not alone

• Posted

No way would I ever have this done again without a general anaesthetic. Most people are offered a sedative but when I had sedation it didn’t work at all. Luckily the doctor stopped when I asked her to. It was agony.

months later I was lucky enough to be sent to a private hospital on the NHS and the consultant agreed to a general anaesthetic.

didnt feel a thing, woke up with a little pain in my stomach but was given pain relief immediately. Spent a few hours in the hospital then allowed home.

i had the 

this procedure should never be done without a G.A.

Id like to suggest every nurse/doctor who does this procedure should have to have it done first.

they would soon make it compulsory to give G.A.

I compare it to having a tooth out without any anaesthetic in the gum.

i had the banding done also. Not had any pain as such from that but 2 weeks after my procedure my haemorrhoids are still swollen so I don’t think the banding worked.

• Posted

HI sandra

did the banding work in the end? If so, how long did it take for them to fall off?

• Posted

HI Dave

The banding worked and they haven't come back and i never noticed when they dropped off to be honest.

having read all the comments on here about the horrendous pain after banding I'm so lucky because i didn't have any pain at all.

I'm seeing the surgeon on Tuesday for something else but i will mention what I've seen and ask him how he did it, because it must be the reason i had no pain.

• Posted

I had mine banded about 8 weeks ago. Also no pain at all. I think some people just scare mongers but sadly my didn't work. But to be honest they have been a lot better.

• Posted

oh i don't think scaremongering, i think i was just lucky.

i found colonoscopy without a general anaesthetic torture, yet some people sail through it. i have a very low pain threshold so assume its how surgeon did mine, but i will let you all know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.