Painful DRE, nodule found, off to urologist. Other experiences?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So i get my digital rectal exam and it hurt like hell. GP was surprised and sent me off to a urologist. He put me on antibiotics too thinking along the lines of prostatitis. My prostate wasn't inflamed feeling but he felt a nodule.

My psa has always been sitting steady at 0.2 ug/l (taken every year) but rose to 0.8 after exam. Although GP wasn't concerned as he said it does rise immediately after a dre.

It has been like a trigger of uncomfortable feeling in my groin for a day or two after that. I didn't have any if this before. Feels like tight muscles at play. Stretching my pelvic floor has helped.

It's obviously all very worrying as I'm only 45, hoping the urologist has better news. But want to be prepared.

My question is, has anyone else felt pain like this during and after a dre? I can't find any information that leads to anything but possible prostatitis. Even then, many don't get this tenderness with a dre.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

At 45, why did you get a dre?

• Posted

My urine flow was slightly reduced in the mornings. So I just mentioned it as my father had similar benign prostatic issues at my age interrupting his flow sightly.

My PSA has been tracked every 6 months for the last 3 years. Very stable and always low at 0.3 ug/l ... the last one in January showed a slight drop even.

• Posted

Psa too low to think it has anything to do with prostate. Are you sure you don't have an issue with your rectum ? Inflamed colon or rectum can slow the flow just as well.

• Posted

I did ask this but GP said we did a stool test not long ago which was fine (no blood). But one of the after effects from the dre is an upset stomach with bloating. Odd.

He put me on antibiotics which I'm not sure about. There is no sign of infection so far (urine only). Have had numerous detailed blood work prior which are all good (I've had two years of unexplained fatigue so been thoroughly checked out). Prior to this I have been on the path to CFS, Lymes or maybe some intestinal parasitic issue.

Nevertheless, he said there was a nodule which needs to be investigated. But he didn't seem too confident. Cross fingers. We'll see.

• Posted

Stool test will not cover common colon inflammation unless there was bleeding at the time. I had a uro once told me that he felt a nodule on my prostate and suggested a cystoscopy. Because my PSA was normal at the time, I decided against it. I think what he wanted was to throw in a t u r p procedure during this cystoscopy. Since then I went to several different urologists and none of them found any nodules.

• Posted

Update: Well I went to the urologist and he couldn't find any nodule or anything unusual with my prostate. The dre wasn't painful this time and he wasn't sure why it was at the GP. Took another urine sample to check for infection but otherwise concluded I'm fine!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.