Painful feet

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since I've been trying to walk more as part of my efforts to lose weight and get fitter I've had awful pain in my feet and toes. I wear decent walking shoes but they don't seem to help. I set off ok but after a short while the balls of my feet start to really hurt as well as some of my toes and down the side of my foot. I then start to walk part limping and I'm sure in a way that isn't good just to try and make it less painful. I'm supposed to be in remission from my RA so don't know if it's RA related or not.Does anyone have any suggestions for making walking easier..apart from trying special insoles. Many thanks.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had to get special arches for my shoes. Works like a charm. I have many issues with my feet . The arches seem to help,so much. Also,spring shoes also take a lot of pressure off the feet.

As we age the fatty pads on the bottom of our feet deteriorate causing pain while standing or walking.

Also our arches start to fall causing pressure and pain . Extra arch support is very important as we age.

Any toe problems bunions, plantarfaciatitis a common issue as we age and Morton's nerve syndrome it all adds up just to name a few. 

The best thing is to see a podiatrist. Feet are the speciality and a X-ray can help diagnose feet issues and help,you get back on your feet soon. 

Always ice ice your feet and use a frozen bottle of water to roll under the arches. A nice hot wax treatment is heaven!

• Posted

I discovered swimming, not swimming as such, but  a noodle under my arms to stretch me out, and then getting down the pool,  in the deep end where my feet don;t touch the bottom, half an hour for a start, then up to over an hour 3 times a week, treading water, or riding a bike, peadling under the water. 

I would not be alive but for that pool work, it has kept me fit, physio amazed at just how fit and strong I am. I also stretch out my legs to the side, behind me, and tuck my knees up to my chest during strecthing time just to mix it up.

I have had to have a double hip replacement due to OA of hip joints, inheritied condition in my family, right up until the day before my surgery I was in the heated pool, and then back in the pool 3 weeks after my surgery after Dr gave me permision, and for 2bd hip replacment the same.

• Posted

I have exactly the same problem. I have bought comfy shoes and every insole on the market but nothing helps. I have to limit my walking sadly. It is the burning on the soles too. Funny but no doctors ever react when I mention it. Feet don't have much interest to rheumy doctors sadly.

• Posted

Thanks for replies. I am seeing my GP soon so will ask if I can see a podiatrist as I was told if u have RA you are entitled to . Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of the problem. I really don't want to have to give up on the walking.

• Posted

Thanks Debra I didn't know that we were entitled to see a podiatrist! They don't offer it so I guess we have to ask specifically. I will ask my gp too. Its funny tho because everyone goes on about fallen arches causing pain but I have been told I have really high arches and still have pain. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Debra

?Once in a while I feel the same way and worry that if I can't keep walking I'll really slide downhill fast.

?Have you tried an elliptical exercise machine?? It might keep you going so you can get conditioned without the impact of the street. Some of them aren't too large or expensive. I've worn out one already and now don't use my newer one too much anymore since I walk/train to work. But I do fall back on it once in a while for the motion in my arms/shoulders.

?Good luck- Keep moving!

?Em

• Posted

Hi Debra,

?I had the same problem for about 3 years. The more I walked the more painful my feet became. Your pain across the ball of the foot sounds very familiar. At one time I wondered if I would ever walk pain free again then like hope4cure I discovered sprung arches from barefoot science and I have walked hundreds of miles across all terraine with no pain. I can even go for several hours without them and no pain now. Arch muscle exercises are also very helpful from a physiotherapist but I found them difficult initially because of the pain. Get some insoles or see a podiatrist you won't regret it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.