Painful knee became advanced hip OA

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been suffering with severe leg and knee pain for many years and recently asked for a referal.  I was really surprised to learn that my knee OA is not too bad but I have advanced OA of the hip and a total hip replacement has been suggested.

i never connected my knee pain to my hip as it’s always painful and swollen. 

I am now in the difficult position of choosing to have my hip done or another major operation unrelated to my hip but causing me lots of problems.

Frankly both operations scare me as been told can cause serious infection and or blood clots.  I can not bare anything touching my ankles and cannot wear socks so the thought or wearing the medical stockings alone worries me.

i just don’t know what to do for the best as both issues need sorting.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Taff, I’ve had 2 knee replacements & only wore those hideous socks while hospitalized. I did have a blood clot to the lung after the 2ns replacement. Fortunately I don’t recall it, unfortunately a filter was inserted  the next day sooooo I’m still using Coumadin. Haven’t had any problems with the Coumadin but constant blood draws are a pain & inconvenient.

The decision for surgery is yours alone. You will need to decide whether the constant pain is worth the risk of surgery. Your pain probably won’t get any better & hopefully putting it off will not cause further damage. A difficult decision indeed. Do your homework. I wish you only the best & no matter what you decide I wish you well.

• Posted

I just do not know which op is priority, or if I just paddle along and suffer..
  • Posted

I have never met anyone who has regretted a hip operation.  If you are at risk for blot clots surely there is medication to help prevent them?  Just as they give antibiotics to prevent infection.  Are the surgeons you expect to do either of your operations well experienced with good reputations?

Which operation is most quickly likely to lead to a better quality of life for you?  Which one is least likely to cause you further harm if it's delayed?  Lots to think about.  I hope you have friends and family to discuss this with.  Sometimes just talking about something helps the issues to become clearer.  Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.