Painful knee cap

Posted , 8 users are following.

Firstly, what a great forum, to read about others experiences has been very reassuring.  However, I'm now 7 weeks post op and still experiencing a lot of knee pain when I practice my leg lifts or any movement involving lifting my leg.  The pain is I'm sure from my new knee cap!   I wonder if it takes this long for the muscles surrounding the knee to get stronger and that this is normal and that it is just time? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello I get some knee pain when I first start this exercise - it feels as though the muscle/ligaments/tendons are tightening up feels weird but after a couple of lifts goes away.

Is your pain constant ?

• Posted

Not when I'm resting the leg only when I have cause to move using the knee muscles, if that makes sense!
  • Posted

I am 7 weeks with a bilateral. One passes through stages. You probably still have some fluid which will cause pain/ache. Nerves regenerate causing all kinds of sensations. After riding my bike, I actually have less soreness, but then later, here it comes. 

When u r sitting around, massage your knee. That helps. Make sure u are getting enough excercise, that helps. Make sure to take your meds. For me, it is aleve. Big in U.S. Over the counter. Not sure where u r. And, very important to build quad and hamstring strength..and, stretch both....very important. I have no pain, but have some stiffness after sitting around. Keep moving.. Don't forget your friend, ice..

• Posted

For me the pain is constant when I'm doing leg lifts, I can ride the bike with no problem.  I just have to keep stretching and working my quads.
  • Posted

Yes, it is normal and should ease after time.  However, I am 7 months post-op...and have just had a manipulation.  I didn't have any additional pain following that, but since I've been seeing the physio and trying to stretch it again (I can't fully straighten my leg), all around my knee cap has been extremely sore.
  • Posted

Hello - I am a 71 year old lady who had a left knee TKR about 20 weeks ago. I had the same problem during the first three months  In fact, I was told before the operation that they would do patella resurfacing but when they carried out the operation they told me that they found that this was not necessary.  Obviously, when I had the pain on the front of my knee, I immediately thought that perhaps they should have carried out the patella resurfacing and this was the reason for the pain.  However, when I saw the consultant at about six weeks after the operaton, he dismissed this as being something which would resolve itself.  I am pleased to say that it has and this is no longer a problem for me.  It is just a question of time and allowing everything to heal. Good luck with your recovery. 
  • Posted

Thank you everyone, patience and painkillers are the answer, lol. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.