Painful knuckle, several weeks after mild impact injury

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

Several weeks ago now, I injured my middle knuckle of my right hand. I punched something hard to dent it, as I didn't have a hammer to hand, and normally that wouldn't be a problem, I didn't punch that hard!

The knuckle immediately felt very painful, although tolerable, and it slowly died down after a while, so I figured I'd just bruised it and it'd go back to normal.

Now though, it's been several weeks and the knuckle is painful at it's extremes of actuation. I.e, if my fist is tightly clenched, or I'm holding something tightly, or bending the finger in any way - so any pressure on the join in any direction gives me pain.

Does this mean I've trapped a nerve?

I'm a professional programmer, so need my fingers for my job. I'm 25, otherwise healthy male.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Mike.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You may have damaged the tendon around the joint or the joint itself, thus the pain at end range (tightly clenched fist). Bruises to muscle heal quickly, usually in 3-5 weeks, but injuries to the joint itself or to the bones surrounding the joint or the tendons around the joint take 6-12 weeks to heal. If it is not better soon, I would also recommend an xray to ensure you haven't chipped off a piece of the bone on that knuckle. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi, Thanks for the response.

As your response was 6 months after I posted this, (still grateful for the response! smile ), you're right, the joint must have taken around 2 months to return to normal. It's totally perfect again now.

Thanks. smile

• Posted

Well I'm joining in 4 years later! Just to say..this is still helpful info for me ...two weeks ago I sustained what sounds to be an identical injury (middle knuckle caught by massively powerful bramble stalk; felt like a hammer blow! )...& I'm quite keen to know if the pain subsides at some point! Can use the joint but oh dear it's painful! Might still get it checked as advised ...but it's good to know yours healed over time.

• Posted

I dunno what he had but my wedding finger has been sore and hurts when I bend it for around 3 months now 🙈 I'm probs gonna head to the doctor this week.

• Posted

I have the exact same problem. I thought I jammed my finger. It hurt for a week. Then, no pain for 3-4 months. Now all of a sudden I have constant pain and if I bend my finger tightly the pain is a 10. What did you find out
    • Posted

Mine just healed. Took a long time, several months but now it’s completely normal with no pain. 

Just give it time. It’ll sort itself out. 

• Posted

someone accedently kicked my thumb knuckle on my right hand it August-September time and it was very sore at first so we went to A and E and they didnt even xray but its not november and it is very sore constantly and when I move it , should i go back to the dr or ......?
    • Posted

I can only comment from personal experience, but honestly, just persevere. 

It seems such a long time but this injury is a distant memory for me. 

It’s totally repaired itself. I guess nerve injuries can take many months. Just give it time.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.