Painful Left Eye

Posted , 3 users are following.

Over the past few months at random intervals I felt like I had something in my left eye. It was annoying but nothing too bad. After the second time I contracted my GP with some pictures who told me to book an eye test (I thought I could see a small lump). I went to the optician who did a full exam and pictures - he informed me my eye was in good health, could see no lump and all I had was a little dry eye. Told me to take some eye drops and that was about it.

Three weeks later and I was woken up this morning with eye discomfort - again, it felt like something was in the eye. It has got progressively worse as they day has gone on. It is now very sore, hard to not touch and hard to keep open. Any ideas or thoughts? Is it just a case of bad dry eye? The corner of my eye has swollen up again like before. I am attaching pictures.

Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Idharv,that is exactly how dry eye or Blepharitis starts. Doctors and opticians and often ophthalmologists as well cant see what is causing the problem Have your eyes always been red as in the pictures? You may now need some Chloramphenicol eye ointment to help with them. Also buy some Hypromellose drops from your pharmacy, also called artificial tears. You need to use them several times per day for a very long time.You may be developing tiny cysts on the rim of the eyelid...they are often the cause of the irritation. You may be able to see them if you look carefully. Dont neglect this condition... it can cause ulcers on the cornea if you let you eyes get too dry. I will send you a private message.

• Posted

I had the same thing as this, looked just like your and I was given dry eye drops for my eye, they've helped a lot and my eyes don't really go red at all anymore. I've got an opticians appointment in the next couple of weeks so hopefully that'll all be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.