Painful legs

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the last couple of weeks I have suffered from my legs jerking in bed and i then wake up with painful legs. i have seem my doc and he has suggested that this might be caused by gabapentin. I have been taking just 300mg for about a year. The doc has suggested that I reduce the gabapentin which we agree probably does not help the problem it was prescribed for. I am suspicious that for some unknown reason I have suddenly developed RLS and periodic limb movement. Has anyone got a view on the gabapentin possibility? I will see the doc again in a couple of weeks to see whether the symptoms have changed after thye gabapentin reduction. My puzzle in part is that for some people with RLS gabapentin is prescribed

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If your legs jerk without being preceded by an irritating mental inclination to move them, I doubt it's RLS. Gabapentin is associated with myoclonus, which you may want to discuss with your doctor.
  • Posted

I do find myself agreeing with you, in that to the best of my knowledge Gabapentin is normally associated with other condition such as peripheral neuropathy and epilepsy, so by what strange mechanism it has been prescribed for RLS is a mystery to me.

Unless they deem it to be such a versatile medication that they are trying it on other things now such as myoclonus which is a symptom of involuntary muscle movement.

Who know how these people think?

• Posted

Think we all, have different symptoms for RLS. Mine is a burning in my legs was only at night or when I rested but over the months had gotten worse. I have had  the tests  mri. Lumbar puncture and taken most of the meds peop,e mention in here but nothing helps . I have recently purchased halcyon copper braclets which I wears all day and also after seeing a neurologist nurse she recommended I take 500 microgram of clonazepam tablets just the one a day . I have also started walking every day so do about 12 miles a week and also I have some bmt trainers expensive but certainly seem to help walking not that I have problems with that anyway. Well a mixture of the things mentioned over 4 weeks and not going to say the burning has gone but it's i definetly 90 October better than I have felt for nearly 2 years . These tablets are for epilepsy which I have not got but think a lot of the ones like pregablin  stc are used for this anyway . I hope this helps . Maybe ask your doctor what he thinks of the meds I have mentioned. Of course we are all different and react to different things . Good luck
  • Posted

I am on Gabapentin 300mg nine capsules daily and with my Back and leg pain also use 80mg Morphine and 1000mg Naproxen with Oramorph 10mg/5ml as required on top of the usual heart medication of aspirin/ramipril/simvastin/coracten.Life still feels crap and no relief for most of the time so what are the options,they say the only way is up.
    • Posted

Thanks Roger. I am sure that the symptoms I have are indicative of RLS and periodic limb movement rather than being caused by Gabapentin
  • Posted

I am not sure about the protocol of replying to your own discussion but an update! My doc has now given me Clonazepam either 2 or 4 mg per night depending on need. 2 mg was enough to wipe me out so it was great to stay asleep but I was in a fog all day and still with painful legs. A couple of nights ago I thought I would try without the tablet but I was awake most of the night with my legs jerking/twitching for hours Paracetemol help the leg pain but I am spaced out. I see the doc again tomorrow
  • Posted

Hi Martin 

after trying all the normal well if you can call them that , pregabilin , Gabapentin and several more which quite honestly sent me over the edge in more than one way . I was given clonezapam 0.5 mg nightly . I have to say they are amazing . The pain at night and day has not disappeared but definetly 90% better . Keep going with them but maybe lessen the dose. 

• Posted

Sorry it's me again with another update. i had a host of blood tests today but meanwhile the doc has put me on a course of Pramipexole. I have enough Clonazepam to be going on with so will wait until the blood results are in before switching meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.