Painful migraines due to Chiari

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 25 years old and was recently diagnosed with chiari 1 malformation. I've had headaches/migraines since high school but they had got progressively worse, which caused me to seek medical help. My nueroglist noticed a 5mm extension of the brain tonsils onto the spinal cord. I used to suffer from a migraine 4/5 times a week. My neurologist put me on amitriptylin 25mg/day. Though my migraines are now 1/2 times a week, the ones I do have are unbearable . Has anyone tried any other medicine or holistic medicine to reduce the pain? Have you had surgery? Pros and cons of surgery. I'm at the end of my rope here.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi , I am suffering with migraines like u also and they r starting to ruin my life . I have such visual disturbances that it is impossible to function . I'm taking to primate from my doctor but they ha e become more frequent . I have considered surgery but my surgeon said it is not necessary . Hopefully u will get some replies that will help us both . Good luck

• Posted

Hi Mariah,

If your symptoms are getting worse, it may be time to get a second opinion. I've taken some herbal meds but didn't do much. Also, regular meds don't help either. One lady I spoke with was on Valium,tramadol,and morphine and it still was not relieving the pain. I had the surgery but became more symtomatic. I have eye,ear,back,neck pain and my balance is still not great. My herniation was 13 mm. If you are progressively getting worse, you need to do something before your nervous system is totally compromised. In my case, I'm in the bed most of the day. Also, don't be dismayed if doctors act like they don't believe u or help you. Some of them just don't have a clue what we deal with. There is a lot of good info on the internet. Also, a lot of Facebook groups can help you. Just know u are not alone. Also, some people have the surgery and do great. Then some like me donot. I hope u find the answers soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.