Painful Pompholyx in tips of fingers with autoimmunity - hurts to type

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have Hashimoto's and connective tissue disease(s) including Sjogrens. I've had eczema and Pompholyx all of my life but never like this in finger tips. There are not even many of the tiny fluid filled blisters - but they are flush with skin and burn and tingle more than itch. I do recognise them as Pompholyx and it started up again after a gap of some years, eight months ago quite classically on side of a few fingers and palms. For each tiny blister and the red craters I'm finding I can't type or chop food etc without intense pain.

I do also have small fibre neuropathy and Raynauds as part of my Sjogrens. My +ANA has a nucleolar pattern, pointing more to Scleroderma or Polymyositis/ Dermomyositis. I'm to have a nailfold capilliary test next month to see if my Raynauds is secondary. But I think my painful fingertip problem is probably Pompholyx related. It's hard to believe that these isolated tiny blisters and a few craters can cause such intense pain in all my tips, nails and pads - which are shiny and have pink telengiecstasias under the skin as well as craters and some pitting from dried up Pompholyx blisters. I've tried betnovate and an antifungal but nothing is helping the pain and tingle and isolated tiny blisters keep cropping up. I'm already on an immunesuppressant called Mycophenolate. But this problem started before I began this drug.

Can anyone relate to this experience of Pompholyx? It's so different to my previous experiences of it where it just itched horribly but didn't make my tips feel excruciating, neuropathic/ scalded and shiny as if coated with varnish? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, how awful for you, my mum has sjogrens. I have been on oral steroids for 4 months for pompholyx eczema (just come off them) but it's flaring up again! It affects my hands and feet and leaves them looking shiny, my feet look as though they are covered in nail varnish. I have intense tingling and itching. I want to avoid having to take steroid tablets again and I'm just using steroid cream at the moment. I also have lots of tiny blisters which make doing anything with my hands extremely painful. I'm hoping to find some natural remedies if possible as the thought of more tablets doesn't appeal.

• Posted

Thanks Kate. My Pompholyx actually is now limited to finger tips only and really I can only see a few small clusters of the tapioca blisters but it's incredibly sensitive still so I think there must be something additional going on at the tips of my nailbeds too i.e. just where we cut them because Pompholyx doesn't look severe enough to explain the extent of the tenderness. 

So sorry yours is so bad and also that your mum has Sjogren's. I'm a week into the AIP diet and hope it will help. It's very hard going I must say but my tummy is less bothersome at least and hopefully I'll lose some weight even if the autoimmuitybanf Pompholyx don't resolve. X

• Posted

Hi, thanks for message, hope your pompholyx resolves itself, I'm just fed up of the flare ups! I've got the opposite problem to you , since I've come off the steroids I've lost loads of weight, it really helps to talk to someone who is going through a similar experience. Hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Flare ups are horrid I know. I had Pompholyx with eczema from age 0-45 and then it went away overnight. In my experience there is no cure, either natural or chemical. It is all about hormonal fluctuations with me. But it may be worth trying this diet if you can. Someone on a Pompholyx FB page spoke of going to a lecture where the speaker explained how all skin manifestations are the work of faulty immune system and a problem with our gut flora. This AIP diet was the one she recommended and has been beneficial for many with eczema, psoriasis and discoid Lupus, not to mention all the autoimmune diseases. Jury is still out for me though - still typing with my knuckle and a stylus!  
    • Posted

Oh dear, hope you can type again soon! I need to Google this diet is think! I'm 45 and my dermatologist said it's more common in younger people. I can function and work but shoes are tricky lol I think mine is stress related but the condition itself stresses me out so no winner!

• Posted

Tell me about it! I think eczema has this chicken or egg thing in common with hundreds of autoimmune diseases. My eczema disappeared with onset of menopause at 45 then RA, Sjögren's and Raynauds took its place! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.