Painful rash on the back of my hands and fingers.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I would like to apologize in advance as this is a long post, but I wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Hello, I have developed a skin condition on the back of both of my hands that I have been dealing with for a couple of months now. it started as my knuckles being dry and cracking, making it painful and bleeding. it then moved down to the backs of my fingers causing A LOT of tiny cuts. Since then it has slowly spread down the entire back of both hands, the back of my wrists and is now travelling down to my forearms. It has caused all of my knuckles to develope what I can only describe as calluses, except the texture is more dry and flakey, but but does not shed any skin and has turned them a darker brown/gray color. When I wash my hands it flares up, causing the tiny cuts to reappear and quite often bleed. the rash has gone down from my index finger to my thumb with a distinct line where it goes from lobster red to normal skin as if someone had drawn it on. Since the pandemic started I have been washing my hands more often however when I previously worked in corrections there was an outbreak of HEP A so I washed my hands there excessively and never had this issue. I have tried multiple different brands as well as types and qualities of soaps (things like dial, all the way up to bath and body works then even trying plain dove body wash) and nothing helps. I did notice that the first (and only) time i used this blue dial soap, it absolutely set my hands on fire almost like hand sanitizer. I used teladoc twice (my work insurance comes with a plan with them) and ended up with them diagnosing me with some sort of cold weather eczema and three different topical steroids, none of which did more than slow the spreading for a day or two. The rash goes from the pain of a mild sunburn up to one that would give you blisters and the only thing that offers any relief is aquaphor. When I was my hands, right after drying them off, if I closely watch the backs of my fingers and my knuckles, I can literally watch my skin split into tiny cuts. I was unable to get a tap water test, however I managed to get my hands on a pool water test as it has some things, relevant to drinking water. It tested with the water maxing out the ph test with at least an 8.4 (so it's at least a little bit alkaline), the total alkalinity maxed out the test as well at, at least 240Ppm, And the total hardness hit somewhere from 200-400 ppm. I apologize for the long description but it is rather painful and my doctor's appt for it isn't until next week. I'm including photos below.image

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you have sore hands, I do too! I mainly use Nivea hand cream & carry a tube around with me. At home, I slosh a load of hand cream on my hands, then put on some gloves. I bought a box of vinyl gloves a couple of years ago and use those.

I have had to use steroid creams too and use an ointment rather than a cream when they are very dry.

You mention Teladoc , are you in the US?

I found an 'intense' version of Nivea handcream, which is very good and I use it just before I go to sleep, so that I don't wash it off immediately.

• Posted

I really appreciate it. Yes I live in the US, unfortunately I believe they misdiagnosed my condition with Teladoc. Unfortunately, the only cream-like product, that I can stand having on is the steroid cream. Other creams and lotions make my hands immediately burn and sting like I had just dunked my hand in alcohol. The only stuff that doesn't really hurt are petroleum base products like aquaphor unfortunately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.