Painful red spot on bottom of foot

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm currently experiencing a very painful red spot on the ball of my foot that appeared out of the blue. The spot is extremely painful to the touch and to walk on. At first, it felt like I had bruised the bottom of my foot, then after a couple of days, a red welt appeared on the ball of my foot that feels hot to the touch. There's no signs of a foreign object, splinter, or cut, and even when I flex my foot, the red welt still appears. There's just one single red spot, that is slightly raised, and the skin feels tight on and around the area.

The only thing I can think of is that I was wearing flat wooden sandals over the weekend, but the welt does not resemble a blister, and is a lot more painful than any callous or sore I've experienced from shoes. I do experience Raynauds and chilblains on my toes and hands in the winter time, but have never experienced it on the bottom of my feet or in the summer before (as I only get them when my feet are super cold and then warm up fast). I've only taken Tylenol to help with the pain, and have stayed away from putting direct heat or ice on the area in case it is something caused by my Raynauds.

I've been really struggling to walk the last few days, and now dealing with ankle pain from walking on the outside of my foot these last few days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello,

I woke up back in August 2021 with an extremely painful red area on the ball of my foot. My PCP dx Gout, which I have a long history of, then prescribed prednisone. The pain, swelling and redness decreased some, but not completely. I went to a podiatrist who diagnosed me with a fractured Sesamoid bone. I wore a boot for 4 weeks which helped more than the prednisone, although something was not right. About 5 months later it all came back.

Turns out the sesamoid bone at the ball of my foot never healed and basically died. Having surgery next week.

Hope this helped

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.