painful salivery stone

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi can someone please help I got told Thursday I have a salivery stone I am on antibiotics but in so much pain and no sign off it removing itself , does anyone know when the docs will finally remove it ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have 2 stones, a 7mm in one of my submandibular glands and a 2mm in the corresponding duct.  I understand how bad the pain is.  Mine act up every so often.  With antibiotics, it is a full week of swelling and pain.  The swelling can get as big as a golf ball.

I have chosen not to have the gland removed surgically due to possiblility of facial nerve damage.  I have asked several doctors what causes the flare-ups because the swelling ultimately goes down and pain goes away.  Is it an infection or have the stones moved and are blocking saliva flow? They don't know and don't seem to care all that much.  All will be happy to remove it.  Depending on  the size and location of the stone, they can sometimes be removed without surgery.  Mine was too big.

I always get a flare-up when I am under a great deal of stress. I have found the most effective treatment is applying heat to the area every two hours for several days.  I use a microwaveable hot pad that I can wrap around my neck.  Intelex has cute microwave heating pads that are shaped like animals that can wrap all the way around the neck. The last time my gland started to swell, I started the heat immediately, and the swelling did not get worse and went down in three days. I did not need antibiotics at all. Heat may not work for everybody, but it works for me.  Ice does not seem to help with me. I also might consider rinsing with mouthwash or hydrogen peroxide several times a day.   I often get really big canker sores in the bottom of my mouth when I have a flare up. Good luck!

• Posted

I am in so much pain and now my doc saying they will only remove when I have had temp and being sick ,, I assume I had absis as that popped and swelling went down Monday but under my tongue is so big I'm struggling to eat swollow talk ect the whole left side off my jaw ear ect is killing me, I been on antibiotics but doesn't seem to work, I'm thinking of ringing 111 and getting referred to hospital

• Posted

Is this the first time it has flaired up?Did you have an ultra sound to say nwhat size the stone was?
    • Posted

Havnt had no scans ect was very swollen popped Monday and horrible taste in my mouth all swelling went but just constant pain and today swelling back again under my chin doc has told me it's a stone but I got to wait to see if it will come by itself but the pain is gettin worse and under my tongue all left side is getting bigger and bigger

• Posted

At the hospital all they did was look at my face and under my tongue and said what is was and just to allow it to come out that was a week ago now my doc saying to leave another week as if I havnt been sick or got a high temp they won't tough it ,

• Posted

either go back to the hospital if you cannot tolerate the pain if you can go back to the doctor and ask to be referred back .I had recurrent infections in my salivary gland it got more and more painful i also had pus coming out from under my tongue i was always put on strong antibiotics , in the end i decided to have the gland removed as the hospital suggested .I worried about side effects of the op but it all went well the best thing i could have done no more horrible infections swelling or painĀ 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.