Painful Sex - 3 months post-op

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I am now 13 weeks post-vaginal hysterectomy and anterior repair. Overall, my recovery has been good and I've had no major problems save for extreme tiredness.  However, my partner and I began having sex again about week 9 after the op and I could quite clearly feel an area of tenderness/discomfort down the left side of my vaginal passage (presumably stitches healing from bladder repair) so decided it was obviously too soon. We tried again a few more times leaving it longer between each time to see if it improved.  I think there has been a small improvement but the area is still very tender and makes sex quite unpleasant.  My husband is very understanding but we're now wondering whether this is as good as it gets or should I return to my gynaecologist? If sex is permanently now going to be this uncomfortable for me, it looks like I may have to call it a day.  Any advice would be great, thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

when I went to my doctor about hrt she was going to prescribe a jelly I think it's called ky jelly because apparently after a hysterectomy we can get a bit dry down below I didn't need it but perhaps it might help you ask your doctor to prescribe it and give it a try sorry couldn't be more helpful Lyn 
    • Posted

Hi Lyn. Thanks for that but I don't think it's dryness. The discomfort is much higher up internally - it almost feels like rubbing on a wound. My worry is that it's always gonna be like that😒.
    • Posted

I would go and talk to your doctor and maybe get them to do an internal examination to check if everything is alright do it as soon as you can they may be able to do something Lyn 
    • Posted

Thanks Lyn. Think I'll do that. Just hoped that all that gynae interference was behind me 😒 ho hum !
    • Posted

That will never happen til your a pensioner . They might not need to do anything they might say it'll improve with time lyn
  • Posted

Hi Sue.  I had a vaginal hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair in February.  The first few attempts at sex were painful and just as you describe.  Persevere.  It's now no problem at all .  I would think I got to about four months post op before everything was ok.  
    • Posted

Thank you so much for that. Sounds like it just might take time then. Hope so. Think I'm so anxious about the discomfort that that's not helping! I'm not a very patient patient 😉
    • Posted

Exactly!!  Just take your time and one day you ll be pleasantly surprised that it doesn't t hurt.  Try to relax and not worry about it as well.  Honestly, now at six months things are really good , in fact better as the problem I had pre op is gone.  Good luck.   Claire 
    • Posted

anxiety will definitely exacerbate the problem. Try and relax a little and not worry. I know, easier said than done. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.