painful sigmoidoscopy

Posted , 74 users are following.

Had Sigmoidoscopy yesterday and would need to be dragged kicking and screaming before having another! The hospital staff were lovely, I was given an enema before the doctor came to speak to me about what he was about to do. He was very nice and reassuring so up to then, all was going well. Then I was taken to the treatment room where I was asked to lie on my left side on a bed which had sides on (to prevent escape ha ha) and the procedure started. Boy oh boy, the pain I experienced was terrible cramping all over my abdomen like I had never experienced before (even child birth wasn't as bad as this). The nurses kept reassuring me and asking me to take deep slow breaths but this did not help and eventually having been unable to cope with it anymore, the doctor agreed to stop but did take two biopsies. However, because it was too painful for me to allow him to go any further, he said he was 20cm short of where he wanted to see. Now heres the question. Why on earth don't they just put the patient under total sedation? This way no pain is caused to them, the doctor can look at the area he needs to see and all in all, every one happy. It seems a waste of time to me to put people through such agony when there is a simple solution. The doctor is unable to perform a full examination because it is too painful for the patient so its not cost effective, its cruel and its a waste of everyones time!

7 likes, 208 replies

208 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I went through a Sigmoidoscopy as a follow up to a colonoscopy where some polyps were nipped off and one large one in my anus removed.

The colonoscopy wasn't too bad except when they went around the bends or pumped too much air in.  I had no gas etc due to my COPD, but am sure they used some local cream.  The worse part was the previous evenings preparation, having to drink 2 litres of a wallpaper paste type preparation that tasted of orange.  After first mouthful I said this ain't so bad but was gagging after half a glass.

With the Sigmoidoscopy, a month and a half later, the preparation was just an enema an hour before one set off.  WARNING, give yourself a couple of hours.  I was in the middle of changing into surgery gown when my bowels opened out of the blue (and into the brown).  A very humbling and humiliating feeling but the guy who helped me clean up was a champion.  I even needed to dash into the loo as I was entering the procedure room.  Cut a long story short, the investigation only hurt a bit and then when the camera initially entered. They only had a butcher about 12 inches in and declared me clear and free of polyps.

Thank you HGH and our fantastic NHS.

Those of us living in the UK are so fortunate.

• Posted

Hi internet friend - I too had a flexi sig today at an NHS Hospital, I won't lie the pain was bad, sweat was pouring off me and my pulse was 140+, they offered entonox but I wanted to stay in full control to say no, I asked him to pause twice - which he did, but it is certainly the worst pain I have ever experienced and I take pain well, he found a polyp and described my abdominal pain as "probable IBS" I think the pure truth here is it's CHEAPER for a known excruciating procedure to go without proper pain relief, it goes against the patient charter - I would advise anyone to demand proper analgesia minimal - sedation purely makes you drowsy enough to give consent and not care - this is NOT proper decent, or right, I am angry that in 2014 this barbaric behaviour exists - every consultant should go through one of these to realise - this is not to scare anyone - you will get through it but unless we try to change things - they won't change - childbirth much less painful 
    • Posted

I had a flexi sig yesterday and would rather give birth to twins! I've had three children and only ever needed gas and air before So thought I could cope with  the pain. I Had gas and air but it didn't touch the pain! And watching it on the monitor was like watching a horror movie! I Was told I had extensive diverticulitis and thought this was the reason it was so painful but after reading these posts it's obviously the norm to treat people like this and is cost effective not to sedate them, I'm angry that the Nhs can get away with this. My brother in law in the USA said this procedure should be painless. But they do pay for their health care.
  • Posted

Hi internet friend - I too had a flexi sig today at an NHS Hospital, I won't lie the pain was bad, sweat was pouring off me and my pulse was 140+, they offered entonox but I wanted to stay in full control to say no, I asked him to pause twice - which he did, but it is certainly the worst pain I have ever experienced and I take pain well, he found a polyp and described my abdominal pain as "probable IBS" I think the pure truth here is it's CHEAPER for a known excruciating procedure to go without proper pain relief, it goes against the patient charter - I would advise anyone to demand proper analgesia minimal - sedation purely makes you drowsy enough to give consent and not care - this is NOT proper decent, or right, I am angry that in 2014 this barbaric behaviour exists - every consultant should go through one of these to realise - this is not to scare anyone - you will get through it but unless we try to change things - they won't change - childbirth much less painful 
  • Posted

I suffered with a lot of pain too. I was told 'slight discomfort' which is a complete understatement!! They said it may be more painful for me because I have a small build. I was told before that I would be able to have gas and air, yet when I requested some form of pain killers the doctor refused. Luckily, when the pain became physically unbarable, he said he had seen all that he needed to see as I have proctitis (Only inflammation of the first six inches of the colon).

I would definitely agree and say that they should sedate people for this procedure. Does it differ in different hospitals? A relative of mine said she had the option of a general. Unfair!!

• Posted

Have you had a sigmoidoscopy Benny?  I have, and it was excruciating to the point where I was on the verge of passing out.  The experience is different for everybody, so what might not be painful to you is extremely painful for someone else.
    • Posted

I've had a sigmoidoscopy today ...wasn't too anxious as had been reassured it would not be painful. Oh my...it was!! I'm not sure why it is painful for some and not others. The nurse persuaded me not to have sedation and as I have also been through childbirth ( with no pain relief) I thought I would manage a bit of discomfort. This was more than discomfort! So, if you are reading this before having this done, just be prepared that it may be painful for you too. 
    • Posted

That's why I had just the one sigmoidoscopy AND WILL NEVER GO BACK!!!

So-called medical professionals are OUTRIGHT LYERS!!

• Posted

Really sympathetic to all who have had a bad experience. Just had flexi sigmoidoscopy 2 days ago and really traumatised by it. The Moviprep was so disgusting and distressing to try to force it down.Cramps and horribly painful bloating so bad I couldn't sit down because I couldn't bend in the middle! the instructions are total rubbish and it was obvious that if you follow their timing you will be on the loo half the night. I started 2 hours earlier ,3pm, and still not able to go to bed until nearly 1.00am. On the day the nurses were lovely but I insisted on sedation and really glad i did. Wouldn't let them start until I felt OK. Even so very uncomfortable and painful. Have not felt comfortable since. Abdomen is tender, eating sets off crampy griping pains so have only eaten very small meals since. Whenever I eat i feel as if I need the loo only for it to be little tiny watery bits or just wind. Doesn't seem to be improving. I feel much worse than before I had it.Never having anything like this again. The only thing I can say to everyone who has had a really horrific experience is that you should PLEASE COMPLAIN. No one should be "persuaded" not to have sedation and then suffer dreadfully. No one should have to be screaming in pain and having to abandon a test that they need. Staff should do better than this. If no one complains nothing will change. Go to the Patient Advisory and Liason service ( PALS). Every hospital has one or just write to the Chief Executive. If enough patients complain then the way theydo things will have to change.
    • Posted

I felt traumatised by this procedure aswell which I had to go thro yesterday. At least with child birth you get something at the end of it! I will definitely be complaining about this as no one should have to put up with that amount of pain in this day and age. It's obviously a cheaper option to do just offer gas an air which is useless and there's no recovery time which means that they can cram more patients in!! I'm disgusted and angry as my brother in the USA said it should be a painless procedure!!

• Posted

I had a sigmoidoscopy today and had a couple of polyps removed.  Yesterday, I read this dicussion which put the fear of god into me until I got down to Guest (in UPPERCASE)!  I stopped reading after that.

Actually, it wans't that bad.  There were a couple of agonising moments when we had to get around a bed, but a tug on the gas and air and gritting of the teeth were all it took.  The doctor seemed to know exactly when I was going to feel the pain so that helped.

Anyway, it's an old thread and I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this, but if you are, don't worry, it may be not so bad for you!

• Posted

At least you had gas and air,  I didnt get either and I repeat it was the worst pain I have experienced.

I had to have a colonoscopy a month ago and this time they did a CT one,  injecting dye,  it was 100% better than the invasive camera up the bum job. I was very scared, told the doctor of my experiences with sigmoidoscopy and he told me this wouldnt be as bad.   When finished I was elated.   Its true no machinery is inserted therefore any polyps needing removal could not be done then and there as CT is non invasive.

I will NEVER put myself thorugh a standard sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy ever again,    the pain was too bad.   Its a shame the doctors that do this to patients, never experience it themselves, then they wouldnt describe it as just UNCOMFORTABLE.   It is excruciating pain.

• Posted

Hi Guest, yes the gas and air helped...it let me concentrate on something else at least.  (I just noticed that my post said it was painful getting around a "bed", I meant BEND!).

Because of the polypes found, I've got to have a colonoscopy next, to get to the "otherside" of my bowel.  Not yet sure what that means, but no doubt google will help once I've plucked up the courage.

BTW, I'm not saying that the pain is the same for everyone.  I'm sure it varies depending on the layout of your insides.  I had a couple of kinks that were excrutiating to get past, I don't think I could have taken much more.

I'll go for gas and air again for the colonoscopy though and see what happens.

• Posted

Yes, it does seem to vary, but in the main,  the people who have had this procedure all say they would not go through it again.  I am not a whimp by any means but this pain was so bad I was sweating so much my chest was swimming, and I held onto the nurses hand so hard my nails dug into her,  I reached the point when I DEMANDED that the procedure be stopped, I was on the brink of fainting.

A neighbour of mine did actually faint due to the pain and she has had 4 children and a sturdy farmers wife.     I would say to anyone either having a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy to expect severe pain as most of us do.   To be honest if the doctor had not stopped when I told him I couldnt take any more,  I would have dragged the camera out myself as there is a limit to what pain they should put any patient through,  they dont like sedation because it takes up a bed and they like us to be out asap.   I was doubled with pain on leaving twice, and I had to drive home,  I slammed my brakes on 4 times nearly causing a rear end smash but pain too bad to go on.  NEVER AGAIN !!!!!!!

• Posted

I was just reading some American posts, seems they routinely use general anaesthetic over there.  Why not here too?
    • Posted

I am not sure how the NHS in Great Britain works, but in the US, health care is fee for service.  So the more services done, the more the doctor makes in reimbursement.  By giving the patient sedation, the doctor is more assured of a compliant patient which means that the doctor can rush through that many more procedures = more $$$$.

Plus the Medicare reimbursement, which is the government system of reimbursement for those over 65 years, is MUCH less than that paid by private insurance.   According to an American associate of gastroenterologists, about 55% of gastroenterologists no longer accept Medicare patients, because they are looking for the much higher reimbursement rate of the private insurance.  Even at the lower rate, gastroenterologists get MULTIPLE times per procedure than any other doctors.   Money rules in the US.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.