Painful swallowing, chest pain- hiatal hernia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I've had these symptoms for almost 2 years. It started with heaviness in my chest and constant back pains. I was diagnosed with a small sliding hiatus hernia in July because after a prolonged sore throat .....

I have a motility study scheduled but my pain is becoming bearable. The throat is getting worse. I'm taking tecta and digestive enzymes.

Does a hernia cause such issues? I'm in pure agony. I've had ct scans, neck scans, blood tests and two endoscopies over the 2 year period. Any one out there with something similar

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have the same issues. I have upper back pain, sore throat, problems breathing , after I eat. It's getting worse. I had an endoscopy in November. Found a stomach polyp, which was from years of acid burning. Last year I ate a heavy meal, had chest pains, felt like something heavy was on my chest. Went to the cardiologist, had a stress test. They didn't find anything. It's acid reflux. The meds font work. I am thinking of surgery

• Posted

I also have a hernia.
    • Posted

I have a motility study in three months then a follow up 2 weeks after that. I can't talk, swallow and my chest hurts so much. Not sure how ill be able to wait for that long. Please elaborate on your experience..... Can't wait for the plication surgery.....

• Posted

I go for and endoscopy in the morning. I Have difficulty breathing. Can't get a lot of words out when talking. I have upper back pain. Swallowing is an issue for me also. Have to keep drinking water when I take a pill. I'm scared that they'll find something tomorrow. The issues start after I eat. How about u? Are your issues all day, or after you eat.

• Posted

What were your findings from your endoscopies
    • Posted

Don't worry. My throat was awful last year but the endoscopy just showed a 1cm sliding hiatal hernia.

It's starts with food for me too. Why don't the doctors do something ... Not sure how long I can go on likw this.....and I'm only 31 .... sad

Any plication success stories ...

• Posted

How long have you had the symptoms .....
  • Posted

Also had 2 years of symptoms although I had a miracle 4 month of no symptoms best I ever felt but they are now back!!!! Mine started 2 years ago with chest pressure felt like an elephant sitting on my chest ended having all the heart tests all fine... then was told it’s possibly acid reflux.. I started on omeprazole which did nothing I then moved on to landoprazole 60mg a day.. it took a good 3 months to notice any improvement... now I’m suffering again on my 4th month now.. I have chest pressure never ever heart burn.. feels like there is something stuck in my throat and chest.. i have issues breathing and short of breath . My endoscopy is scheduled for next week and I’m petrified of what they might find and petrified in general of the procedure 
    • Posted

I also had 4 months where my symptoms were just gone but they returned in December. Don't worry about the endoscopy , your symptoms are similar to mine and they should only find some inflammation if anything. Does it hurt when you swallow? That and the back/ chest pain are the worst.....

• Posted

No not really it doesn’t hurt when I swallow it’s just uncomfortable .. I wake up with a sore throat most days.. and it just feels like there’s something there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.