Painful teeth on right side of my face before and during period

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have very painful teeth and gums 3 days during my period and at the beginning -

does anybody know why?

thank you (I am 45 years old)

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

What's the pain in your teeth like, is it like the classic toothache you get from say an Abscess or is it like sensitive tooth pain (like you get from drinking a really cold beverage, or biting an ice pop), does the pain seem to move from tooth to tooth, has this tooth pain ever come on in the night (you may have been woken literally seeing stars, feeling like you've been hit in the mouth with (in my experience) a hammer)?

Look afters smile

• Posted

hello there,

I've been to the dentist and my teeth have no abcess. my teeth hurt only during the day (not at night). only on my right side and the pain moves from top to bottom or stays in both areas.

this only occurs during my cycle - I have read high estrogen levels can cause this. is this true?

i'm 45 could this be a sympton of on an oncoming menopause? it started last year - it does not occur during every cycle but when it does it really is painful....3 days leading into the cycle and the pain stops at the end of it.

thank you for your help.

• Posted

Any associated strange heartburn feelings,, like 'dry heartburn', that is, heartburn without any discernible acid, maybe with peculiar rippling and throat feelings? smile
  • Posted

Oh :[ And what happens if you take painkillers like Paracetamol and or Ibuprofen, does the pain go away or (paradoxically) does it get worse? smile
  • Posted

hello - i always get a sore and dry throat around this time plus I get a tight chest. but not heartburn - i don't really know what heartburn would feel like?

i take aspirin which helps but doesn't get rid of all the pain.

once again thank you.

kindest regards,

ravinder

• Posted

Sorry heartburn is acid indigestion / reflux, the horrible tasting / throat burning 'burpage' you might get after (for example) overeating on a big greasy meal, has you reaching for / wishing you had a packet of Rennie (antacids). When did you last see your GP, have a general health checkup, get your Blood pressure tested etc? If it wasn't recently then it might be worth arranging for a checkup and also you'll be able to discuss this tooth pain and (maybe associated) throat / chest feeling with them as well as what to expect / look out for when you do start the menopause...

Bless smile

• Posted

hi i definately don't get these symptons.

thank you for your help. neta

• Posted

Hi Neta!

It doesn't matter on which side you get you toothache. It's actually common that women suffer this kind of pain before few days and during period. Even I do!

It happens only because our gum tissues also have more numbers of estrogen receptors. Before and during period there is rise in estrogen level which binds to the estrogen receptors(ER) and the gums swell as well with inflammation known as 'menstruation gingivitis'. For this good oral care is need just before few days, during and after period.

• Posted

I'm wondering if you ever got answers to this. I'm 42 and have extreme discomfort to my right upper teeth with PMS. Goes away within 1-2 days after my period starts. To me it seems to be in the bone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.