Painful thigh and buttock after exercise or sitting too long

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I'm new to the site and this is my first posting.

I had my replacement hip almost 6 weeks ago now. I am a young 64 year old, love walking and exercise in general. I was so pleased at how I've been getting on and have walked unaided since week 2. Some days when I'm doing my walk, I feel I could walk for ever and then suddenly my hip starts to tell me its had enough! When I sit down in the evening and then try to get up I can barely walk and weight bearing is agonising! The pain is in my thigh and buttock mainly. I just wondered if this is normal. I walk about 2 miles a day. Thank you for your help!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I would say not to push it as 6 weeks post op is still pretty early in the healing phase of things. I'd limit those walks. There is alot that needs to heal in there, allow that process to occur without putting additional strain on it is probably best.

My first hip at 25 which lasted 21yrs... I'm now 51 and dealing with bone loss around the cup. By all means, take your time and rest. Your hip will thank you later. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Wishing you the best.

• Posted

Hi - I had my THR three weeks ago. As I have gradually reduced my painkillers I have noticed aches and bruising down my thigh and into my ankle which I didn't experience so much before (presumably due to the painkillers). Like yourself I am in my sixties and have always loved walking and played sports all my life. I am realising that I need to take this recovery process slowly and stop pushing myself to walk more each day. The physio exercises and little but regular walks of about 20/30 minutes is probably enough. Feels a bit frustrating when I start off on a walk feeling I could go for miles but I am learning patience! It will be interesting to see what your consultant says at your six weeks appointment. I was advised by the physio to use crutches outside for six weeks and only drop to one indoors when it felt comfortable which I did yesterday for the first time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.