painful trapped wind

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been getting these symptoms on and off for about 15 years. It's basically very painful trapped wind where the pain is around my middle ribs, around my side and through my back. The pain is a out a 7/10 and is constant until i stand up. The pain starts a few hours after eating and lasts for an hour or two before it subsides! Standing up relieves the pain. I can also help to relieve the pain by taking rennies and burping a lot. I basically have to wind myself. (I really don't know where all that wind comes from!!). The burping relieves the pain for a few minutes before it comes back. I find myself walking around the house for a few hours at 3 am!!

I used to get it if I was drinking alcohol for 3-4 days in a row. These days I only have to of had a few drinks 1 night. Sometimes I get it without drinking at all. 

On numerous occassions  my GP has given my tablets that the stop the stomach creating acid but I took the tablets for a month without drinking alcohol but the first day of drinking I got the pains back again. I don't drink much these days so I don't get the pains as often as I used to but I know that if I do have a few beers I am bound to get the pains the next day.

I have a twin sister who has the same symptoms but she doesn't drink and gets it from too much sugar or coffee.

I would really like to get to the bottom of it if as it's been going on too long now.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If your serious about it..the only way you will get to the bottom of it...for a start...is to rule out or in 3 possibilities..1. ulcer..with or without bacteria (helicobactor pylori), 2. undigested food still in stomach, due possibly to lack of gastric juices..the 3. slow emptying (gastroparesis)... (could be SIBO but I'd go for these 3 first)

The most important is to rule out HPylori...a non envasive UBT or urea breath test..can be done in dr's office..takes about a week to get results.

If it comes back "negative", you may yet have an ulcer, an upper endoscopy is best..invasive but not a big deal..a cam thru your mouth, throat, and into the stomach...hopefully they won't need to do a biopsy should they not see anything...they get paid for biopsy...I consider it necessary only when they see something and need to have a lab "confirm"

The lack of gastric juices can be ruled out at home..."usually"....some hcl with each meal...see how it goes...if it doesn't help..means you most likely have adequate hcl...but maybe not pepsin or bile..so your health food store has Pancretain (HCL too)...pretty much the same..take with each meal...see how it goes. (some use a few drops of apple cider vinegar (ACV) instead of the HCL...be prudent with acv, it can burn the throat...just a few drops in a glass of water...some use a teaspoon......too much for me..

In summary, hyplori is the big player you need to rule in or out..then ulcer.

Should either test show a "positive"...I can provide you of what I would discuss with my Gastroentrologist for treatment/s.

Claudio

• Posted

Be patient,that is a typical symtom of chronic ulcer. You need to adhere to your doctor's advise and stop taking things that activates the pain. Hopeful, you will get a permanent solution soon.Good luck.
  • Posted

I have had 4 separate loads of prescription. Over a period of between 1 and half yrs. I still don't thik my problem has gone. I have been treated for H.Pylori after having an endoscopy (camera down throat) so you might want to do a stool sample to get it checked out. B.
  • Posted

Hi there, Those symptoms reflect something called hiatal hernia.It starts at the top of the stomach and meets at the lower food tube ESOPHAGUS. THAT IS what causes pain you describe around the ribs and burping. 

Maybe you GPcould offer a test for it.  The test is simple. 

You swollen white stuff at the radiology department they watch it go down by floascopeno sure spelling.  But it's a machine that sees the stuff you drink and shows where the problem is .

• Posted

Hi - this might sound corny but next attack just get your partner to rub your back until you burp a few times. It works for most bubs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.