Painful trapped wind

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently had a blockage in my bowel and spent 10 days in hospital on steroids and starting humira in the hopes that surgery could be averted for now. I was advised to stick to a low residue diet once home, the steroids are being reduced week by week and the plan is that I will probably need my whole colon removed at some point (my Crohn's is apparently advanced). My problem is that I have such terrible trapped wind. It builds and builds and 'pops' inside my tummy but I seem unable to release it until about four hours of pain has been endured. Eventually I release it and experience relief for 15 minutes or so before it all starts again. It is pressing badly on my bladder too, so I feel an urgent need for the loo almost constantly. I am afraid to eat. Has anyone had similar experience? Any advice? I try eating small amounts, have cut out all 'wind' producing food. Grateful for any help. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Low fibre. And no gassy foodis all you can do.

If you have a stricture then surgery may be the only option.

Wishing you luck!

• Posted

I am in a similar position following a blockage was prescribed Azathiaprine and a low fibre diet. The bloating seems to press on the bladder and I have to get up in the night. I found drinking low fat milk makes it feel less bloated and I am trying to eat less fat overall as I was advised that it inflames Crohns so am reducing chocolate etc! I am hoping to avoid surgery but it isn't an easy diet.

• Posted

Try products containing simethicone, these break down the wind and help it till pass. In the UK it can be bought as rennie deflatine or windeeze but I'm sure there are similar products in other countries.

• Posted

May be also look at low FODMAP diet. I don't follow it strictly but it does include foods that you wouldn't think are gassy but are. I have found since bowel resection that I have horrendous wind some days. I use lactose free milk & avoid other dairy except occasional hard cheese & butter. I have also tried to limit wheat products to one meal a day and it definitely helps. The wind started before the surgery so not the primary cause, I blame 7 weeks of antibiotics.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your comments. Yes, I have been told I have strictures so perhaps surgery is inevitable.  I will look out for something containing simethicone...thank you for the suggestion. I will also try lactose free and look at FODMAP. Last night I found that drinking lots of water, then lying on my front with pillows under my tummy provided me with a massive, prolonged release!! Know what I mean?! Thought I'd share! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.