Painkiller addiction - can't handle the lies

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, when I started dating my partner he had a Valium & painkiller addiction i wasn't aware of. I found out about this and he has stopped taking Valium however the painkiller addiction is extremely bad. We have spoken about it and he had admitted he knows he has a problem and wants me to go with him to visit his GP. He has asked me to keep the pills and only give him the prescribed amount the problem is, he has started getting them elsewhere. I can tell straight away if he has taken a lot by his speech and eyes. The thing is, i know this won't be easy and i expected him to do this but the issue is that even when i say i know he's taken something and i ask him what/how much he has taken he lies. I mean totally takes it to extremes blaming me for not trusting him and saying it's all in my head. No matter how much i push it he won't tell the truth. I've said as long as he's honest I'll support him but the lies will make me leave. Even knowing this he will lie until he's blue in the face and only own up if i find pills in his jeans. Why can't he just tell me the truth when he knows I'll support him, the lying will make he leave and he knows this so why is that not enough to make him be honest? I have no experience of addiction whatsoever and i feel really alone, frustrated and helpless just now. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think this is self evident and I am sorry if this is redundant..but Your presence at "HIS" doctors appointment is essential. As the primary member (of what hopefully will soon be a large support network for him) you need to know the score....for you as much as for him.

Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.