painkillers

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have tried lots of different painkillers but none of them had much effect , has anyone on here found some that do the trick ? the aching around my upper arm or tricep is getting worse and i just wondered if anyone had a tip

0 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have you been to GP? It could be a result of partial tear or muscle tension or hard workout. It is recommended that the injured arm is elevated during or after applying ice. This helps in keeping the arm above the heart’s level which aids in the reduction of swelling. On pain killer front, I would advice best to ask pharmacist or your GP before taking any.
    • Posted

i did have a fall at work and landed on my left arm , i was lucky and didnt do any damage at the time but i do wonder whether its the cause of F/S .
  • Posted

Tramadol or Ultram. 50 mg. Same chemical different name. Use the lowest possible dose as it can cause Migraines. Worked great until I took 2 of them. They are a synthetic opiate.
    • Posted

tramadol ? i have heard it can have strange effects on people not sure if i wanna walk round like a zombie lol
  • Posted

I agree. Not much touches this pain without heavy painkillers. I did get a Tens unit and find that helps a lot while it's on and you can leave it in for long times I'm told. Insurances do not cover this and my cost was $125.00. Just an option to consider.

I went last week - 4 weeks post op. Still cannot raise my arm out to the side or forward. And the pain was still what I consider severe, needing painkillers round the clock. He gave me a prednisone dosepak and it made a great difference in pain. Maybe your doc might try this. Hang in there. It's a long process and you're not alone.

• Posted

i dont what a tens unit is but i will google it , thanks for the idea though.
  • Posted

I've found a pain killer that is working for night time. I started on Targin 5mg, not strong enough so went to 10mg still not strong enough, was taking a 5mg with a 10mg still not strong enough, doc has just given me Targin 20mg which I take about 9.30pm, that gets me through to around 3-4am I then take 2 panadeine forte and sleep till around 8am....YAY!!!
    • Posted

i havent tried those , are they prescription only ? . i am going to doctors on monday , i want him to suggest something to ease the pain while i do the exercises the physio gave me , which incidently are very painful .
    • Posted

Yep they are prescription only here in Australia anyway.

Oh my goodness, exercises that are very painful, that just dosnt seem right. Have you had an ultra sound? Mine was originally being treated as frozen shoulder but as it was getting more and more painful and less and less range I had an ultra sound and they found a tear in the rotator cuff.....the Supraspinatus tendon....quite common.....but VERY VERY painful. Just make sure they are treating the right thing....huh!!!

• Posted

the exercises are meant to stretch the socket , the physio told me it would be painful and to do the exercises up to the limit of my pain threshhold  which isnt very big lol im a bit of a wuss i think.
    • Posted

YOU ARE NOT A WUSS 😘.......there is no way I could be doing exercises at the moment, maybe after my surgery, but I'm not looking forward to it.

my pain threshold isn't too high either and this 24/7 pain is driving me to despair 😩

• Posted

thanks for the support , i think everybody who joined this forum are all too well aware of how painful F/S can be , it also seems most people have never heard of it , my friend yesterday told me to shut up moaning about it lol if only he new : p
    • Posted

Absolutely Jim......we all feel and understand each other's pain. Disappointing when a friend says shut up your moaning......send me their email address and I'll let them know how damn painful it is. I'm counting down to my surgery, just want this pain to go away. Im still finding the 20/10mg Targin good for night time 😀
    • Posted

haha that would shut him up , but believe me when i tell you , he has a lot more to worry about than me . your op should be successful and after physio im sure you will be so relieved , i know  i was , my trouble now is with my other shoulder , i am off to see the physio today for more exercises , if this doesnt work soon i think i might end up having another op :=(
    • Posted

I've got a friend who has just had his second shoulder done, the surgeon said he may get another few years out of it but it would heal better the younger he was ( he is in his late 60's) so he decided to get it done now. I reached behind my pillow last night in bed with my good arm and felt a slight twinge.....scared the crap out of me that something is failing in my good shoulder 😥. I'm dreading the 6 weeks in a sling.....gonna feel like an absolute invalid 😳
    • Posted

it appears that some people are unlucky enough to have one bad shoulder but worse still are those like me and possibly you get it in both shoulders , i have just seen the physio , he said he doesnt think exercises are gonna cure my shoulder , so like with the other shoulder he suggested i see doctor and have injections but like the other shoulder they didnt work so i had the operation , god knows how long thats gonna take.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.