painkillers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all. Waiting to go on methotrexate in a weeks time. Had steroid inj and on oral steroids. Been in a flair since November 2014. Ive had tramadol yak! And now on dihydrocodiene but they are not working. Also on gabapentin for neuropathy. Any ideas re a good painkiller that wont zombie me. Cant take anti inflammatories any more as they make me sick.

Please help!!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't think it matters much, but surely your rheumatologist has suggested something? You need to take what suits your body.

One of them is out, though, and I think that's Ibuprofen but not sure. This should come from your GP really.

As for your comment "gabapentin for neuropathy"...

What kind of neuropathy is this? I am curious, as I have peripheral neuropathy but have never been given anything to take for it. It causes extremly uncomfortable burning on the soles of my feet during hot weather, and I would badly like to find some way to relieve it.

As for

• Posted

Hello

Sadly my doctor is useless. The rheumy has said its trial and error via your doctor but in fairness to him ive only seen him twice. First was for examination second was the diagnosis. After that bombshell my brain went to mush.

I have peripheral neuropathy too. The gabapentin is a god send and best drug ive ever had. I get it in my thigh and I have 100mg 4 times a day.

Perhaps speak with your doc?

Take care x x

• Posted

Hello Donna, sorry to hear you are experiencing pain and not found the right painkillers. i take morphine liquid and morphine patch(althought the patch doesnt do anything) for breakthrough pain and co codamol daily. I am to on methotrexate and they not helping one little bit, i actually seem to alot worse since being on them with having a flare every 2 weeks. just try any thing going and find what suits you. i hopoe you feel better soon. x
    • Posted

Hello

I seem to be codeine intolerant as I itch from head to toe each time I take one. Paracetamol isnt helping.

I hope mtx works. Doc seems convinced it will.

May I ask how do u know if mtx is working apart from xrays that show damage. ??? I have not been well since November. Im permanently tired and in pain. I can only describe it as someone is bending a joint the wrong way. Its my fingers and toes.

Thankyou.

• Posted

Hello Donna - I've been on methotrexate or few years now and combined with sulphasazine and diclofenac it gave me a new lease of life - I could actually walk again! and no side effects - I would recommend taking it - also it reduced my reliance on painkillers - I do take tramadol still but only at night so it doesn't matter that I'm zonked - also if pain is too bad I was given amytriptylene - a relaxant which has helped as well - it does tend to knock me out with the tramadol but sometimes I just need to sleep - but am still slightly zapped in the morning for a few hours. Think changing the time when you take medication can help -

take care

• Posted

Hello

Thankyou for your reply. I have taken alot over the years for osteoarthritis but now everything just makes me feel sick or itch. Ive seen my doc again and his answer was....what do u expect me to do!

I think when I see rheumy nurse next week I will have a chat. I have young kids and my partner works shifts so im reluctant to take stuff that zonks me out unless he is at home if that makes sense.

What I nightmare. Sick of feeling tired amd in pain amd sick. It never ends.

• Posted

the drs was all saying how good mtx would be but the reason it isnt working is im still having flare ups and still on max painkillers so clearly they are not working. They may work well for others tho. im due to have a bone scan and the rheumy said if that doesnt show inflamation he will take me of them!!!! im very lucky tho with the side effects with only experiencing tiredness and the odd dizzy spell. good luck hun x
    • Posted

Thankyou. I have had xrays and scans which shows synovitis in hands, wrists, elbows and feet/ankles. It all started in November and been in a flair since. Had lots of steroids and will be on mtx next week.

I am presuming this is a flair. Consultant said it could last 18months!!! I dont really know or understand what a flair is.

I hope u feel better soon. X x x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.