Painkillers

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

Replying to Roberta73 and Seamus

When i was in hospital for 3 days, they gave me Ibuprofen, Paracetemol and 1 tablet of Oxycodone (Morphine derivative) every 4 hrs which relieved the pain. However when i came home i was only prescribed Ibuprofen and Co-Codamol. I took these every 4 hrs day and night, but found sleeping at night a problem and ended up on the sofa with a pillow under my leg and sleeping on my back.

After 2 weeks i asked the doctor for some other tablets and she prescribed Tramadol.

I tried these for 2weeks but they were making me feel lousy so i stopped taking them and just used the others. I persevered and once I started the Gym the pain became less

After about 4-5months i was only taking pain killers very rarely and was sleeping a lot better in my own bed. About last October i was managing to sleep on my side without pain during the night and stopped taking tablets altogether. Obviously playing sport again and Gym work your knee does ache at times and I get the odd twinge letting me know i am doing too much. I may then just take an ibuprofen tablet which seems to cure it.

I stay to people just be careful what you do and use your own common sense as your new knee will never be the same as before, but a lot better than you expect.

Good luck with the pain medication.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for details..looks like it's waiting game. I do wonder though how you got to stay in hospital 3 days? I was brought to supposed ortho floor after surg, poorly attended to overnight I begged aid to void, she said she needed to get help but never did. finally i struggled to stand and peed on floor. Staff not impressed. They never did clean the floor. Was discharged to home early afternoon next day ready or not. I had a bad fall that first night trying to get to commode, twisted and hit my head on sliding closet doors. My son picked me up

• Posted

I really like my surgeon but word of caution; never be a patient at Orange Regional in Middletown NY. A totally helpless feeling to say the least. oh did i mention nothing got faxed to home cAre agency til monday.

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear about your experience in hospital. I didnt realise you were in USA

I was treated at Wrightington hospital nr Standish in England one of the leading hospitals for Knee and Hip replacements. I had my own private room with TV (NHS).

The first night i had BPs every 2hrs and pain killers every 4hrs, like a zombie the next day. The physioterrorists (Sorry physiotherapists lol) came the following morning and showed me how to use the crutches and excercices. I was not allowed to go to the bathroom unless a nurse was present to watch me on my crutches in case i fell over

I went in on a Wed morning and was supposed to come home on the Friday but was a bit sick that afternoon, so they kept me in another night.

I managed to get a better nights sleep Thursday/Friday night no BPs every 2hrs

Since then steady progress. I do hope you are keeping well and managing ok

Just take it steady and dont overdo it, I am sure you will be fine

Howard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.