Painkillers after hip op

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am 4 days post op for total hip rep.  Only been prescribed paracetomol and codeine. Hate taking codeine as they knock me out. Had declofenic when I had first hip op and they were good. What combination is anyone else taking? Paracetamol on their own  isn't enough. Thanks everyone

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes I am in uk and my doctor allows me to take diclofenac along with stomach do tablets I have never had side effects I must have cast iron stomach, but they stop me from being stiff and walk better! ann
    • Posted

Me too. Naproxen did nothing!  I too take Omeprazole to protect my stomach!  X
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for the drug update. This explains why I didn't get diclofenic this time. I am in the UK so will stick to paracetamol and codeine and I have just  got a gallon of prune juice delivered! Crikey what we have to go through! 

• Posted

Hi Polly, I was prescribed codeine and paracetamol too. Stopped the codeine 7th day post op because of the constipation. I am now 11 days post op and doing fine with paracetamol twice a day, aiming to stop altogether soon. Ruth
    • Posted

Hi lthr 10 days ago on enhanced recovery programme so home next am after surgery no problems they gave pre op gabapentin 300mg twice a day for 14 days naproxen twice a day and paracetamol with tramodol if needed works really well as am up am up and about with 1 stick.. just some dis comfort in thigh ..
  • Posted

Hi prolly I am four days post thr, yes only prescribed paracetamol and codeine, actually have put myself back on diclofenac one in the morning think this helps have been out for short walk this morning and it went well.  I was given tramadol whilst in the hospital , think if you take codeine you have to take a laxative as well, I was very constipated till today, took lactulose last night with good result today. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Ann. Glad you got through your second one as well. I ditched the codeine for Naproxen and lactalose and doing ok now. Now 11 days post op and doing ok. You have done we'll by the sounds of it. I still find 

it so tiring but we know we will get through it. Does yours feel as bad as the first time?

• Posted

Here in the US I've been perscribed oxycodone. Ive been taking it since my first thr 6 months ago since my non op hip is pretty painful. Another 2 weeks until my second thr and then I should be of narcotic pain meds for good.

• Posted

You sound as if you recovered well from the first op. Good luck with the second. I am 2 weeks post op of second and only had one painkiller today and one more tonight., I am just tired more than anything.
    • Posted

For the first couple of months I was recovering nicely. Walking a quite a bit and my new hip didn't hurt then my other hip got worse very quickly. That put a damper on new hip recovery but only a couple more weeks. September 8th.

• Posted

Chris - Dr told me after my first THR that the 2nd hip giving up the ghost is a known issue, but of course no way are they going to tell you that, you may not do the exercises you need to do in fear of the other hip going out, mine gave it away, at week 13 after my first THR, ended up on the ground in agony, torn cartledge in hip joint, due to amount of arthirtis catching tissue, confirmed by sister who is a director of nursing in a big base hospita, also confimed there is now way we are going to tell patient as they won't do required exercises. Not fun at the time but 2nd THR solved problem all better now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.