Painkillers not helping with period cramps. Why is this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. Whenever I do get periods I have bad cramps but medicine like asprin or ibuprofen do not help. At times it makes my stomach hurt and makes the cramps worse. If it does help its for a very short amount of time and then the cramps are back. Even when I use medicine specifically for period relief it doesn't help. These medications do help if I have a headache though. Does anyone have an idea why its like this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had the same problem with ibprofen! I felt like the longer I took it, the worse it got. I switched to Aleve and it made a world of difference for me! Try that! 
  • Posted

i too suffer with really bad period pain and the best thing for me is nurofen express and a hot water bottle or bath to relax the cramping muscles, failing that i rub my back which is where i usually get the pain. sometimes its so bad i have to dig my nails into myself to block the period pain so i feel you sad  when i was a little younger the drs gave me something called mefenamic acid and it was like a godsent! hope you're feeling better soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.