Pains in both sides for 2 1/2 years, doc's can't diagnose.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been scoped from both ends, tried different diets and meds, CT scan, and had my gall bladder removed.  TENS unit is my only relief.  Pain is just below ribs and feels like insides are being twisted in a clamp vise.  Anybody else have anything like this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

could be Spleenic and/or Hepatic flexure syndrome, google them.
    • Posted

Okay, I looked up the Flexure syndrome, and I guess it could be but I was treated for IBS with no relief and I'm not constipated - more the opposite condition.   I've kept food and bowel diaries for up to three months to no avail. The only time I don t hurt is when I first wake up in the morning.  It sets in as soon as I start moving around. PT said might be strained muscles but this seems like too long for that.
    • Posted

try pepperming oil, Pepogest is the brand I use and it helps.
    • Posted

Thanks for all of your responses Kit.   I've already tried  peppermint oil capsules which were of no help. 
  • Posted

what about fennel tea, have you tried that?  I heard that was helpful.
    • Posted

No, I've heard of that but haven't tried it yet since I'm not much of a tea drinker.   Still not entirely sure that it's a digestive issue.   Most recent doctor (we have trouble keeping doctors in our area) thinks that it's too far on my sides to be IBS related.  She suggested arthritis (I'm 73 but still quite active) but PT says that I don't have as much arthritis as he'd expect to see at my age.  Thanks again for your suggestions.
  • Posted

Hi Jan, I to Have had my Gall bladder removed and that was the start of my problems, I think i have 75% got to the bottom of why we get these pains under the ribs going round the side, Some people like me make alot of gas and acid, this gets trapped under the rib cage pushing up against the ribs causing soreness and discomfort, I had a corse of peppermint caplets and they helped alot reducing the feeling of something under my ribs, you may find that you can feel a movement (if you have been pregnant you will know what i mean) that is the gas moving around, I had a ultra scan and my word i was shocked my whole abdomen was gassy, I feeling goes off for a while if i layed on my back with my right arm behind my head...The other things to avoid, try not to sit with your feet side up on the sofa, you are twisting your body and your insides , also if you eat like this it will also cause discomfort afterwards, also because when we have our gall bladder removed we get scar tissue pain this can be caused by weight increase and standing to long on the same spot, eating pies wheat flakes and other heavy foods also have the same effect, these things may help you, try pepermint tea also, take care x
    • Posted

Thanks Lindapin.  I had the pains for six months before my gall bladder was removed.  I've tried peppermint oil capsules which didn't help at all.  I'll take your other suggestions and give them a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.