pains in my left arm

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have pains in my lower part of my left arm and hand and it feels heeavy and abit numb

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I agree with Daryl, as they ordered the NC tests for me when I had similar symptoms in October from CS with C5-C6 stenosis.  The neurosurgeon thought it was a problem with my Ulnar nerve (like tennis elbow), but the NC tests seemed to indicate CTS. I had improved symptom-wise by the time I finally got the NC tests from the neurologist, and was frustated by this diagnosis, as my symptoms started with the issues at c5-c6. I literally woke up one morning with my arm throbbing from neck issues and my left arm felt like it had been hit by a baseball bat.

I felt the CTS diagnosis was incorrect because of the concurrency of my initial symptoms with my neck issues and my accupuncturist and any chiropractor might agree.  After all, I am very right handed, not left handed... I am somewhat glad to report that my symptoms got better from the spinal cortizone shot, accupuncture therapy, rest, and home cervical traction.  Even so, I do still have intermittent reoccurrence of the same symptoms albeit at a reduced level so far.  My only other options were CTS or cervical surgery, which I will avoid if possible . Hope this is helpful... In short, I was skeptical of the negative results of my NC test and the positive CTS diagnosis seemed like a lazy default for "we don't know what's wrong with your left arm". The tennis elbow support strap sure did not help.

• Posted

Hiya I have the same feeling in my left side and hand. It affects my grip so I end up dropping things involuntary which is a bit embarrassing somtimes! I had surgery last Friday on C5 / 6 (which was causing the pain on my left side) a cage fitted . I'm very sore and still in pain but my consultant said it is normal to feel like this as it takes months for the new nerves to settle down. I tried aggressive physio, steroid and nerve block injections and acupuncture but they didn't help so opted for surgery. I hope you are receiving some help with your pain?
  • Posted

Hi

Your symptoms could result from a neck issue,  particularly if you also have any neck stiffness or headaches.  Ask your GP for an MRI neck scan, as that should identify any neck issue.  Altrnatively request a referral to a Physiotherapist....they can test for ROM (range of movement) of neck to try and find cause.

• Posted

Thank you all i will defo ask my doc to send me for MRI neck scan yes i do suffers from bad headaches x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.