Pains in opposite leg

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi just wondered if anyone had experienced problems with their unoperated leg following THR ?

I'm 12wks post opp and operated leg doing great after keeping up with exercises it is getting really strong now and I dont use a stic lk!

really upset this weekend as I've had pains and weakness in my I unoperated leg and have been limping because of it ! Prior to opp no issues or pain and concerned what it can be !!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison,

i had problems with my unoperated leg and hip but I have got OA in that hip as well.

i now have a difference in leg lengths and once I had an insole it made the pain in my left hip and leg a lot easier. It might be worth checking out as any slight leg difference can effect your posture ect.

i hope it gets better for you

kind regards Angela

• Posted

Hi Alison,

well when you were first exrayed for your hip opp. did it show both hips were infected with OA?  because when I was first diagnosed back in 2011 they said both my hips were bad, I could'nt understand this as i had no pain in the right one, anyway 3 years on and my left hip done, god the pain in my right hip is now worse than the left was prior to opp., I think the body knows how much it can take at one time, and so once one is done then the other decides to start, if however your other hip is fine it could just be the extra strain on it from all the pre opp. limping, see what your DR says, good luck,

Lynne.

• Edited

Hi ladies,

sometimes it's due to taking more of your weight through the unoperated side which makes existing conditions more painful.  It's important to develop a good walking pattern post op, so that the weight bearing is more equal.  You'd probably be best to ask a physio who would be able to assess your gait pattern and posture as the doctor is more likely to treat with medication.   

• Posted

Greetings alison, what usually happenings is we don't put even weight on both hips when err are recovering from hip Surgery. Then the offsite hip bares more weight then it usually does and causes more pain secondary do to over work it's doing for us. Probably will self correct when you can bare normal wt on the op side. Warm hugs to uxxx
  • Posted

hi, i,m 9 weeks post opand have been doing really well until last week when i started having sciatica type pain down unoperated side and now my lower back is really painful which makes walking miserable.I,m feeling a bit fed up as its not got bettef all week.Think it could be that i,m trying to do as much as i did before op and ive just been reminded to slow down.I had people staying over last weekend and walked around a festival two days on the trot and have suffered for it.I was feeling so good before just hope its temporary.oh and still sleeping on my back which i dont think is helping but i just cant seem to lie on either side and feel relaxed.sorry for the moan sad sad
  • Posted

Hi Alison

Hmm where to start.I will be 7 weeks post op and I too was doing pretty well with the walking up until last week. I went into A & E with suspected DVT because my legs swelled like treee trunks. I was instructed by my consultants  registrah how to deral with that. The day after everything was fine so I started waliking again. The folowing day my unoperated side ( right side ) has become unbearable and also the knee is now involved and I can now not walk much at all again. I am miserable because I feel I am taking more steps back than forward.I see my consultant again a week on monday ( June 8th ) I just hope he understands and doesn't get angry with the fact I can't walk much or do the excersises and put me into hydrotherapy. I was told I had OA in both hips and it was a toss of a coin to which hip I hadf done first because both arte so bad. I have to wait till september to have the right side done. But I have no idea what is wrong with my knee. Never had problems with my knees before. sad

• Posted

Good morning Alison -- I hope you are feeling better this morning - 

it is frustrating, isn't it ... it seems however that you are doing well - I am 11 weeks post-op today (time flies ???) - my unoperated, left, leg was acting up in week 3 - terrible pain in groin - this is how I found this wonderful forum .... 

it truly  affected my recovery - on May 13, 2015 I had my follow up visit with my surgeon ... an xray was taken right before I saw him and guess what ??? the cartilage in my left hip has deteriorated from mild OA to severe in 6 months time ... yig !!!! didn't see that one coming - apparently this can happen - or maybe you just overdid it a tad ???  take care and take it easy - be gentle with yourself - 

• Posted

I had no signs of OA before my opp ! my left hip was fine ! I hope its strain through taking pressure off the operated leg, guess I need to get checked out . thanks all for concern
  • Posted

I have had pain in my opposite leg since about 3 weeks after surgery. Since taking it easy on my exercises and adding anti-inflamatories , it has resolved itself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.