Pains when’s drinking

Posted , 7 users are following.

At last I more or less have my

Drinking under control and now have more nights off than on. I’ve had loads of tests due to pains when I drink and I thought I’d damaged myself. The tests and scans came back clear: is it bad that I wanted them to show something so i had no choice but to stop drinking? When I drink now I feel so  nauseous the next day and my stomach and sides are painful, inflamed and tender. I went to an AA meeting just found it so depressing and upsetting. I really don’t know what to do And wonder where my life going. When I drink I end up doing stupid things like letting first dates stay over and wake up with huge regret. Any advice or support would be really appreciated thank you ❤️

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I went through the same thing about 10 years ago decided I am better off on my own until the right one comes along...
    • Posted

Hi sue it’s not about meeting someone it’s the drinking that is my issue. I’m happy single 🤗

• Posted

question... why do you drink? lonely  boredom  why do you think you drink?
    • Posted

I do because of boredom.. now tying my damndest to stop but first step is to figure out why you do and take it from there. Why add anyone into the mix until you are sure of what and where you are going. Sorry if this sounds harsh xoxo
    • Posted

Thanks sue I drink because of boredom for sure. 
  • Posted

Hi Aimee 

I really can identify with you ! Can I ask how old you are and what situation you are in ? Where you live ? Who with you etc ? 

I'm so pleased you have reached out here . There is so much support here . Please reply then I can offer advice 

Take care for now . You are in the right place xx

• Posted

I’m 34 I have a great career and am really into my fitness - I live in my own ! Thanks so much for your response it means a lot ! 
  • Posted

Your pains are probably gastritis alcohol irritates the inside of your stomach and intestines after long periods of alcohol abuse your stomach lining thins and becomes painful every time you drink alcohol it’s like chucking fuel on a fire. It will only heal if you stop drinking and eat healthy for 3-  6 months while taking anti acids. That’s why your getting pains when you drink.

I bet its worse the day after drinking but you also feel it when actually drinking just not as bad ? 

I bet the day after you’ve been drinking when going to the toilet your stools are loose or runny? 

The day after drinking are you more bloated than usual  ? 

I had this for months I was convinced it was my liver/pancreas or cancer I had every test under the sun. I didn’t believe it was gastritis until I did stop drinking for 6 months. I’m  now healed. I now only drink on special accessions. (Pain free)

I’m not a doctor but a daily drinker for ten years if your tests are clear this is probably what’s wrong with you. 

Endoscopy (scan) is what’s used to pic up gastritis my gastritis didn’t even show on this test. all blood tests every scan was normal I even paid privately for a fibro scan great results . It was only after talking to my Gastro and I’d mentioned about not drinking for 4 weeks taking anti acids and explaining to him I felt better and when I did start drinking again the first few times it didn’t hurt. What he said to me and I’m sure he’s right is....that my insides are sore let them heal he said. alcohol puts a massive stain on the body and if you have had periods of daily drinking just cutting back a few days a week won’t help .you need a period of no alcohol so your body has a chance to recover. Especially the stomach as it’s full of acid so it never gets a chance to recover you need to eat non acidic foods and give it time. Alcohol makes your stomach produce extra stomach acid so it just never heals.

• Posted

Btw gastritis is not indigestion which i thought it was. Hence the reason I kept dismissing it. 

As for not drinking.... if you’ve managed to cut back a few days a week you’re not physically dependent so that’s good. If all your test have come back with good results you’ve been very lucky.

If you want to stop drinking forever I find just keeping busy is the key and have stuff planned have tickets for events  that don’t involve drinking like theatre,cinemas or meals out so your life doesn’t seem boring and you’ve got stuff planned and booked so you’ve got  something to look forward to. Become the driver on nights out. If you can’t drive well the money you save on alcohol get lessons fill your evening with that. Learn to play an instrument. Or study do an evening course even if you have a great job everyone can improve. Or study something to do it as a hobby like massage therapy, photography.painting Anything. 

Go swimming in your evenings you’ve just got to keep busy! I promise the first few months are hard but after that you won’t even think about drinking I even pore my wife wine now and just drink green tea. Good luck 

• Posted

Wow thank you Kevin that is so helpful and it completely makes sense. I’m going to do my best from now on. Thank you again x 
    • Posted

Hi aimee you have had some great replies here and sound advice from Kevin. Do you really feel like your drinking is under control now or would it slip back at the slightest set back ? I spent years stop starting drinking, believing sometimes it was under control but if I had been honest with myself I would have admitted it wasn't .As for the gastric issues, they are so unpleasant aren't they . A A wasn't for me either, but I do know people it has worked for .We are all different in what suits us

Have you thought of trying the Sinclair Method which would enable to you to get serious control of your drinking .I chose this way after years of failure and it has worked wonders for me.I can have a drink if I choose and as long as I am compliant with the method the desire to drink is massively reduced to only wanting to drink one or two drinks .It has really transformed my life . If you are interested take a

look at C3 Europe website and. Also Google One little pill

Take care x

• Posted

Thank you I’m not In control and I hate it. I’m going look at what you have said to for sure. It’s so annoying as I’m so much better and happier without alcohol! The day I stop drinking forever the day I become happy! X 
    • Posted

this response is so helpfull, i've been having the same issues and ur description makes me think i have gastritus. i will take a long break and report back ....thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.