Pale coloured stools after gallbladder removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Apologies for the topic! I had my galbladder removed nearly four months ago via open surgery (one enormous gallstone and pus-filled galbladder). It's taken a little while for my digestive system to settle down but all seemed ok until a few days ago. I have been having pale coloured, sometimes floating bowel movements since last week and have a horrible feeling I need to go and see doctor again. Does anyone have any experience of this? It's only happened once before when I developed acute cholecystitis four months before surgery. Many thanks for any information.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Please don't apologize.  Everyone on this site has gone through too much to be offended by this!  You need to let us know what's going on!  smile

Do go see your doctor to see if anything else is going on with you! Please let us know how you get on! 

• Posted

Pale coloured stools and dark urine are symptoms of jaundice. Are the whites of your eyes yellow? Does your skin appear golden? I really think you do need to see a GP just to have jaundice ruled out. Don't delay as jaundice can lead to septic shock. Even though you've had your gallbladder removed it's still possible a stray gallstone is blocking your bile duct.

• Posted

Floating, pale coloured stools are a strong sign of undigested fats. It's not uncommon in people who removed their gallbladder. It simply means the fats you're eating aren't being absorbed by your body and go straight through you. Try the following.

Eat less fats, or perhaps spread your fat intake in smaller meals (although that is hard because days are actually really healthy and essential).

Take a digestive enzyme (preferably one which contains lipase) and a supplement called ox bile (avaliable online from American sellers). These help regulate your bile production and provide your body with digestive juices which help break down fat and other stuff.

I would speak with your surgeon if it continues for more than a week because obviously it means your body ain't getting nutrients from fat. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.