Pale/White Nails Since Birth

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just registered to post this.

Okay, as the title of the thread says, I've had very pale or white nails since I can remember anything in life. I never really thought it was an issue until girls in middle and high school started saying how pretty my nails were and asking questions about who did them for me (you have no idea how annoying that is to hear when you're nowhere near feminine). I was seriously shocked knowing that I was only one with white nails and pretty much everyone else's were pink.

Reading online I read that it could be a cause of a few diseases or issues, particular with the kidneys or poor blood circulation. This stands out because I was born with one kidney. I'm 25 and the last time I had it checked out by a doctor was almost 10 years ago, maybe longer. However when I did go, doctors told me that one kidney had grown the size of two,presumably compensating for the lost abs reported no issues.

The poor blood circulation stands out because, like my nails, I've always noticed that my heartbeat was really fast since I was young. I remember in 9th grade health class when we were learning how to count heartbeats, my count was way more than the other kids, but I brushed it off as I wasn't couting it correctly.

However, recently, I went to a doctor for a nagging ankle pain, and he did a routine blood pressure check. It wasn't the first, second, 15th, or 30th time I've heard that my BP was high as I've given blood countless times. But that was the first time I walked out with medication (atenolol 50mg) as he was that concerned.

Jus wondering if there is any correlation between my nails, BP, and kidney with any serious health issues/disease. When I asked the doctor, he really wasn't specific on anything I asked him.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Seems like some nutrition deficiencies, possibly Vitamin B's .. Check those first and start eliminating oher causes.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply and I'll loon into that. But you're saying I could've possibly been deficient since birth?

• Posted

These symptoms all seem to relate to the fact you only have one kidney. Kidney problems often produce very white nails which are called Terry's nails. High blood pressure is also a problem with one kidney. Does your doctor know you only have one kidney?

He has given you Atenolol to treat the high BP which is the only problem he has observed.  He would be cautious to diagnose anything else without symptoms,and you may never have any other problems.  Just visit him if you have any further worries.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.