Palendromic rhumetism - food triggers...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.  New here.  I’ve had a PR diagnosis for about 2 years now. Treated/managed with sulfasalizine currently.  Since before the diagnosis, I’ve thought that pork-related meats always seemed to trigger the response.  I’m now certain of it.  Worst reactions come on about 24-36 hours after dry-cured(sodium nitrate??) pork like capicolla/sausages/prosciutto/baked ham etc.  Milder(much) reactions come after chops/ground etc.  As I’m still putting a list of “do not eats” together....has anyone else had anything similar.  I’d love some more insight.  Thanks in advance.  

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Completely my Arthriris is totally food related here is my good and bad list how does it compare to yours...

Bad from worst ...

Coffee

Wheat

Oats

Ham

Gravy

Tomatoes

Sweets

Ice cream 

Peanuts

Strawberries

Beetroot

Gluten

Good 

Pears

Berries

Sweet potatoes

Sprouts

Chicken

Beef

Broccoli 

• Posted

Me again ....I found high histamine foods and it's these that trigger me...

Hope that helps

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.  So far, my list is pretty short.  From worst to just mildly bad:

Cured pork products - cappicola/prosciutto/baked ham/sausages

Uncured pork - chops/loin/ground

It’s really just pork I’ve isolated so far, but I’m guessing there will be many more items as I start paying better attention. The cured stuff is brutal, but so delicious sad   Thanks for the info.  

• Posted

I am thankful to Eileen who pointed out that I have PR because of sudden painful flares (effecting one area of my body) which would go away the next day,  With PR I know that the right and wrong foods can make a difference how I feel. I know that pork would cause a problem, and all the ones listed which are high histamine foods.  I am surprised that even oats can be a problem.

I have stayed away from night shade vegetables, like potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant.  Potatoes seem to be the worst and have caused very painful PR flares.

It is sad.....I could eat all of those years ago, but no more! 

I tried sulfasalizine which did not agree with me.  Plaquenil (300 mg) has prevented further painful flares.

Of course, I still deal with PMR and prednisone manages it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.