Palpatations and GERD

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have GERD and have recently experienced palpatations which caused me to feel a little lightheaded.

It seems to happen when I have a lot of gas in my stomach.

Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have Palpitations too I am not sure if mine are connected to silent reflux, I have wondered about this as well

• Posted

Hi Debra

I've just talked to someone who thinks that low iron can cause palpatations.

I'm going to get mine checked out - hope yours is ok😊

• Posted

Hi Rhonda, Is your reflux from a specific cause?! I have a hiatal hernia with severe reflux and when its angry, inflammed & I have gas pain, esp. when my stomach is in my chest(from hernia) if I lie on my left side(sometimes my back), I get palpitations....its weird and freaky but, not serious....it makes that sensation as the position of my stomach is in a place it doesn't belong, my heart, blood vessels, nerves & etc...in that area cause the sensation...I lay on my right side, sleep propped up & take my PPI, it happens way less since I changed my sleep position, laying completely flat isn't good for reflux, nor is eating within 2hrs of bedtime....my Dr said I can use Simethicone for gas, it makes gas bubbles easier to pass, also antacids can help with gas...You should ask your Dr if there is something you can take that will help, be specific about your symptoms and being sure its your reflux, not your heart, gives you piece of mind, never start even OTC meds w/o asking your Dr....Hopefully you lose that loving feeling(like butterflies in your chest)its really annoying!! Best Wishes💒🌈🍀♾🎶🎶❤

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your reply and great suggestions lindalee!

I don't know for sure what causes my reflux.

I saw a doctor about it over ten years ago and he just prescribed a "Rennie" type medication.

After that I tried eating very plain food in smaller portions which helped.

Two of my relatives have hiatus hernias, not sure whether that's connected.

I shall try a different sleeping position and see if that helps.

Thanks again😊

• Posted

I have experienced that a lot and it tended to get better as the reflux calmed. A lot of symptoms many of them associated with a large range of conditions come with reflux. heart rate increases, heart attack type pains and dizziness. sometimes my blood pressure crashes and it gets better as the reflux eases.

• Posted

Thankyou Oladapo. It seems we have very similar symptoms.

Do you find eating certain types of food a problem? I have difficulties with bread and potatoes.

• Posted

O yes. Many foods are to be avoided or restricted. oily or fatty foods are the worst. Bread and several dairy snacks too. Stick to low fat or fat free food. also avoid citruses. Eat small meals like 4 or 5 times instead of heavy few meals.

• Posted

Thankyou Odalapo.

I didn't realise the problem with citrus.

Have been trying to up my vitamin C so eaten quite a few oranges!

Great tip about small regular snacks.

• Posted

I have experienced that a lot and it tended to get better as the reflux calmed. A lot of symptoms many of them associated with a large range of conditions come with reflux. heart rate increases, heart attack type pains and dizziness. sometimes my blood pressure crashes and it gets better as the reflux eases.

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.