Palpatations scaring me

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve been experiencing palps for around 5 yrs on and off. They went away for the past two years. The past week they have come back but different than the first time. Before they were sudden and lasted once or twice. This time they are constant. But just light bumps. But all the time. So my cardiologist said I could go back on 1.25mg of bisoprolol as and when I get the bumps. I’ve taken two yesterday. I am incredibly tired. I woke with shortness of breath today too. They make me feel awful. I don’t know what to do now as the palps are awful, but so is taking the bisoprolol. I’m waiting for another echocardiogram and 24 hr monitor. It’s odd how it comes and goes. I’m 56 and peri menopausal too. Anyone explain or going through this please ? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Kim,menopause causes loads of palpitations as your hormones decrease. Bisoprolol is for fast heart rate and makes no difference to palpitations. It also slows you down.

the more you stress the worse they get

try not to worry,they are most likely nothing to worry about. Benign palps are very commom

• Posted

How can bisoprolol have no benefit to palpatations ? It’s one of the most widely used drugs specifically for palps? Don’t understand why you are saying that. 
  • Posted

Hello Kim,

I'm so sorry to hear you are suffering - I also suffer with palps ( mostly in the evening) and I take the same Beta Blocker but on a regular daily basis I was suffering dreadfully with lethargy and severe tiredness and several people on here suggested I tried taking it at night instead of in the morning . I ran the idea passed my GP and he said it was ok to do so - Kim I'm so glad I did as I'm feeling much better with more energy and far less tiredness - also sleeping better at night. I hope this helps - good luck with your 24 hr monitor, I'm waiting to have one too - all the best.

. Babs x

• Posted

Hi Kim, I experience palps mostly at night also I have always taken my beta blocker at night Atenolol... ...they cause insomnia and I have a hard time falling and staying a sleep but would rather have that then  the dizziness and being tired worse than I already am .when I was peri menopause I had the worse palps my cardiologist said it was hormones..they will get better. al tho I still get them ..my 48h monitor showed 5,000 of them..hope you start to feel better it’s so draining to feel like crap pretty much all the time from this problem..God Bless you 🙏

• Posted

Hi Kim

Feel for you having the awful and frightening palps, especially at night when things always seem worse.

I have been on Bisoprolol since Feb 2017. Was put on them for sinus tachycardia. Was fine for a while but since Nov have been waking 2 or 3 times every early morning with terrible fast heart rate, sometimes reaching 146. Normal is supposed to be 60 to 100. This is every night and I'm flummoxed as to why this is happening. Only thing l can think is l had my blood pressure tablets upped in Nov and this started in Dec. I always feel nervous and edgy, don't sleep well at all and can sleep during the day if l had the opportunity. I hate this feeling so can relate to your expirience and have sorry to say no explanation to help you, as l can't solve my own problem. But l do wish you well and should you find an answer, as l hope you do, let me know!

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.