Palpitations 20 year old male

Posted , 6 users are following.

So ive been having palpitations for maybe a year or two now and theyre just really frustrating. its a feeling of a sort of thump in my chest which seems to become more frequent when im tired and a bit worn out.

ive had multiple ECG's which came back with nothing (although Ive heard that you need to actually have a palpitation during the ECG for it to be an effective test). Do you think it could be anything serious? just not sure what to do about it. no one else i know seems to get them.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Just quite concerned as they really dont feel normal. i think they can also be worse when im sitting as opposed to standing.

• Posted

have you checked your pulse when it happens?? i know you can't as it happens but how does it feel after? how long does it last?? if your concerned I would check out a cardiologist and have a holter monitor on. I have those all the time and I have pvc and pac... and Afib. my cardiologist said though that those very brief thuds or flip flop feeling is a palpitation... which in my experience are harmless.

• Posted

you can get palpitations at rest if you are dehydrated. Also alcohol can give you palpitations, even the next day after drinking. Sugar and caffeine can affect you as well. Are you taking any medication or supplements? You maybe sensitive to an ingredient which could give you palpitations. Do you have any other symptoms? Do you know roughly how fast your pulse is? When you get the palpitations, time 15 seconds on your phone and count your heartbeats then multiply it by 4, that will give you a rough idea.

Do you have any heart conditions in your family that would make you worry at your age? It isn't unheard of, but it is very rare for someone in their 20s to develop a serious heart problem.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. theres no history of heart conditions in my family and also my pulse averages out at about 70bpm. Even during palpitations it doesnt change noticably.

• Posted

What you need to do is learn how to check your pulse. Right below the base of your thumb, just below where your wrist bends, find your pulse with the first 2 finger tips of your other hand (don't use your thumb to feel your pulse.) It should be pretty strong and easy to feel.

There are two kinds of pulses - regular and irregular. Of course regular means that the time between beats is the same, beat after beat after beat. If you have atrial fib (afib) the beats will be irregular - two beats might be real close together, then the next beat might be slightly delayed, etc. etc.

You can check your pulse many times a day - especially when you sense fluttering. You can report your results to your doctor at your next visit.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

hi, my heart rate doesnt seem to change. i often measure it and it seems to be around 70 usually, even in times where i do get palpitations.

• Posted

If your heart rate is regular, you must be imagining the palpitations. Keep checking whenever you feel palpitations. Good luck.

• Posted

It is unusual but not impossible to have regular beat palpitations. You should not worry about this, but it should be checked. The difficulty is that if it happens irregularly it is almost impossible to capture, even on a Holter 24 hour monitor. If you are concerned and it is bugging you then you could buy a cheap monitor on Ebay which will give you a 60 second continuous reading with a downloadable record for your doctor. But if you do that you will need to be careful not to start obsessing about things. Just keep it by in the house and run it when you get symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.