Palpitations

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had a pretty good week anxiety wise but today I was sitting on my bed and I had a big palpitation. Just one big one. But it was enough to send my anxiety through the roof!

I've been sitting on my bed too scared to move for three hours coz I'm scared I'm going to have a heart attack! I've got a lot of gas in my chest and feel really lightheaded!

Are palpitations dangerous or just another anxiety symptom? I've had a few in the past (not anxiety related) and I've had 3 ECG's since Xmas! I'm just scared the doctors have missed something and I'm going to die!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hI hunny... I have had loads of palpitations with the menopause/anxiety/stress. Try to control your breathing, your anxiety is most likely causing the lightheadedness. Thousands of people have harmless palpitations and skipped beats all the time, big ones can be very scary but if you have been OK for three hours then it is very very unlikely to be anything to worry about. If you are having any other symptoms, such as pain, really fast heart rate, feel very faint, or extremely clammy, then call 111 for some advice. If you improve after getting your breathing steady then have a few sips of water, you may be a little dehydrated. I hope you start feeling better soon..let me us know how you get on. I do sympathise as my stress levels are driving me crazy at the moment...take care Lynn
  • Posted

I'm laying on my bed as we speak and I just had like a flutter/skipped beat and it scared the hell out of me and I feel very on edge now
    • Posted

Hi Fab...as I said to littleAnnie...palpitations are really common. I have had so many tests, ultrasound, ekg's etc and even called an ambulance once because my skipped beats were happening about 6 a minute for over 5 hours. The doctors have all said it is stress related and possibly hormonal too. I understand how scary it is but it very rarely means there is anything wrong with your heart. I was told too that it isn't actually a skipped beat but an extra one that sneaks in and confuses things for a bit...your heart doesn't stop or anything, it really wants to beat. If worried then do call NHS direct for advice, and don't delay if you have pain. But it is more than likely to be nothing at all and has understanderbly made you anxious which will just cause more symptoms...take care. Lynn
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply and I have calmed down physically now it's just I need to try and my clear my conscience so I don't go to bed in a state of worry
    • Posted

You're very welcome lovey. I am glad you are feeling a little more settled. A nice warm bath, cup of warm milk and some soothing music should get you in the right frame of mind to sleep well. smile x
    • Posted

That sounds good to me! Thanks again smile x
  • Posted

I get those, the first time I got one I was so scared. It's a horrible feeling when it does happen. Just breath slowly from your tummy. Breath in peaceful air and breath out tension. (not too many deep breaths, that will make you more dizzy). 

I have had them now 20 years on and off and I am still here! Hope that helps. 

• Posted

i have them too and it s a horrible sensation. it always sends me into a panic freenzy. 6 months ago i had ekgs done and the doctor said that is stress and anxiety. i also feel pain in the heart region or maybe thhe ribs. do you think that in 6 months could i develope something? i m really anxious about this.. sometimes is so good to see other people like me.. we can give advices and talk to each other about our problems. ty all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.