Palpitations

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, my iron level is 302, not too bad I know but still too high.  My GP said it was too high, but not enough to worry about.  When I go to GP there is a red flag across my page saying 'IRON TOO HIGH'.  I suffer badly with palpitations and have had every heart test going so know it is not that.  I am due to have a re-test of bloods tomorrow and have then got a gp appointment on 26th as I am not going to be fobbed off anymore, epecially as I had an out of the blue DVT in leg in December. Could all this be related.  I see that palps are a symptom but is my level high enough to be causing this and I read somewhere that my iron may go down as I am now taking blood thinners.  Lots of questions but I want to have something prepared for my appointment so that I am can get some answers.  Lastly does anyone know of any multi vitamins that do not contain iron.  Thanks

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This thread is very interesting & helping me also. I am not understanding the difference between serum iron blood level test & serum ferritin blood level test. My husband's iron is 300 & ferritin 1,400. He doesn't have any other symtoms except, palpitations which then causes him anxiety & he has had an irregular heart beat for years but known reason. I am trying to understand all this to help him. He sure won't! Can anyone help explain the iron/ferritin difference please? Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Susie, this should help:-

Iron is a metal complex whereas ferritin is a protein. Ferritin stores iron and provides a balance between iron overload and deficiency. Ferritin is stored inside cells whereas iron is released in the blood and tissues that need it. High levels of ferritin don't affect the amount of iron in the body.16 May 2010

• Posted

hi susie,

i am male and i live in australia.

i have c282y & h63d faults.

my experience is that a serum ferriin level of 500 ug/L is high but with my 'compound' HH it is not necessary to draw blood.

i agree with you that the terms are confusing. there should be agreed terms that are used on this site.

david.

• Posted

Your dr/consultant/haemotologist should do an Iron Studies test.  That will give you 4 results that show the whole picture.  Individual tests like just ferritin are useless.

They will include serum iron, TIBC (actually I don't know what that really tells us - the haemotologist never comments on it), transferrin saturation %, and ferritin.

• Posted

Hi david - I have been trying to ignore your comment that with compound HH it is not necessary to draw blood, but I failed ....

Yes, there is a belief that compound may not cause iron overload, but you already have a level that is above the male level of 300.  I am homozygous C282Y, my husband is homozygous H63D (it is believed that it does not cause iron overload too), and of course, our son is compound C282Y/H63D.

At time of diagnosis, my husband's ferritin was about 554, our son 772 (at age 22), and I was >999 and in a bad way with major problems.  Our haemotologist venesected all of us - at one point we were all turning up together, until our various levels made differences in our vx timing.

My husband ended up with Hodgkin's Lymphoma (no evidence it was caused by HH - just as they don't have proof of any fixed cause), and after chemo and radium therapy his ferritin no longer increased.

My son did not look after his health, did not keep up his vx regime properly and he now has diabetes, and other problems.

Unless you have health issues that prevent you from have venesections, a few vx can only benefit you, as long as your haemoglobin remains high enough.

Have you sought out formal information from other than your doctor?  Perhaps talk to Haemochromatosis Australia for confirmation.

• Posted

Oh, and my husband's urologist stated that H63D is suspect for causing prostrate cancer - not that I have found any scientific medical proof of that.

• Posted

Hi all, levels down to 253 from 302 without medication, not sure how but better to be that way than going up. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.