Palpitations

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I get palpitations on a regular basis which ok, mostly I can put up with, but sometimes I also get the feeling that I am going to black out. It only lasts seconds so I need to monitor my heart and blood pressure as this problem doesn't show up on the random ECG check. I do decaff so that isn't a trigger and I'm not a big alcohol drinker.

So I want perhaps a watch to wear 24/7 that I can down load onto my computer to track my heart rate and blood pressure and give to the doctor. Any recommendations?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ask your doctor for a d-dimer blood test to rule out a pulmonary embolism or emboli. I had palpitations for ages before being diagnosed and it isn't the first thing a doctor thinks of.

• Posted

Firstly, when you say you need to monitor your heart and blood pressure you sound more

concerned than your doctor. When a doctor tells you specifically that he/she needs to monitor

your heart function/blood pressure, then you had better be concerned. I've met a lot of people in my 65 years that feel the need to monitor this "condition" or that "condition", but all they

end up doing is causing themselves more anxiety then they're already experiencing. Trust me,

an abnormal rhythm can and does show up on random ecgs. My atrial fibrillation (which is associated with the structural defect I was born with) showed up decades ago with a random

ecg and I was immediately put on the cardiac glycoside, Digoxin, which I have been on for quite

some time. It keeps the a fib away and its cheap, because it's been around for over 50 years. I

don't know how old you are, but if I had to guess, I would say you are probably young.Live your life to the fullest, time goes by quicker than you think.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your advice I am over 65 so not that young. I have just been on a 48 hour monitor but only had palpitations the additional feeling I get didnt happen that was why I wanted to check myself try and pick it up when it does happen. Always try and live my life to the fullest best way to keep young.

• Posted

You write you have palpitation. When it attacks how do u feel at that time. Do you feel your heart is stopping or going down. Pain in heart. Jerk in chest. You write some time you feel black out. What it mean . Can u explain your situation please.

• Posted

Hi, yes I do feel as if my heart has blipped. But I have no noticeable pain its just like one large palpitation that rises up in my chest and then I have a feeling of darkness only seconds though and not all the time.

• Posted

When you get the palpitations, if possible, check your not anaemic, or short on potassium or magnesium as these minerals help to prevent palpitations. See if taking a supplement of iron, or potassium, or magnesium helps you. Its really worth trying these to see if they help. The feeling, when you have palpitation, that you are going to black out is just the delay thats happening due to the palpitation. As you say, its only momentary. Try doing some meditation or making sure you have some quiet period during the day as this helps regulate the rythym of your heart.

Most important....be happy!

• Posted

Thanks for your advice will look into these, recently had a blood test so dont think anaemic but back to Doctors on the 11th for another ECG.

• Posted

i get the frequent feelings of dizziness/feeling like I’m going to black out also. I’ve had heart palpitations for years and I’m definitely since I just had my heart attack going to talk with my doctor about it on the ninth .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.