Palpitations after Catheter Ablation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all.

Dec 2016 I had catherter ablation for tachycardic arthymia. 

Mid-Feb 2017 I wore a 24-hour momitor with only 40 palpitations during that time period. My EP Cardio cleared me and said the procedure was a success. By end of March I noticed a stark improvement overall in my healing: fewer palpitations, even days where I maybe had a handful. April rolled around and I had some pretty bad allergies, and in that time noticed I was having increased palpiations, up to as many as 1-2/minute, though blood pressure is still good and my pulse doesn't rise to even 100 bpm, which I am so thankful for! But after activity or being on my feet, even just around the house, for extended periods, I fall back into that feeling post-ablation, where my heart feels a bit swollen and I have noticable palpitations (though not PVC runs like I was having pre-ablation). 

I know that ablation recovery can actually take up to a year, even with the all-clear at 3 months. But is it "normal" to have weeks where I feel great without any symptoms, or very few, and then to have days or weeks in which I don't feel 100%? Is there a time after the blanking period even if given the all-clear that a replapse is likely? How do I know if it's a relapse? While I am active and healthy, this heart stuff has caused my stress levels to sky-rocket (taking mag to help with that), and I am having touble maintaining them as I just want to feel well again! 

Any thoughts from those of you who are post-ablation 6+ months?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am interested in what you find out having had a ablation for Ventricular Tachycardia a couple of weeks ago. Interesting you still have palpitations, how do you know they are palpitations?, can you see spikes on an ECG graph?, the reason I ask is that I felt palpitations and you can see them as spikes on an ECG, looks like a child scribbling up and down when they went into a run, but since the ablation, I still get the feeling of having a palpitation, my breath feels snatched away and my heart leaps but now, I watch the heart monitor in hospital and see these same palpitations no longer register on an ECG.

I am therefore thinking the ablation cured the effect but the trigger is still there. At least I dont fall into long runs of palipitations now.

My heart still feels swollen and I occasionally get pains that make me gasp slightly, as if my heart were suddenly squeezed.

• Posted

Hullo.

I dont know  but I would guess that  the results of Ablation would be felt immediately . Dont they Zap the bit of myocardium that  is producing the aberrant impulse?That should be that.

For the rest I have frequent BenignV ectopics for weeks on end making me feel like s...t  then they disappear for a few weeks before returning. I despair  of thinking there is a cure. The Drs dont want to know.

Anyway, all the best  with whatever. Let us know of any cure you come across.                     Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.