Palpitations and low pulse rate

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.  I have been hypothyroid for a couple of years now and take Levothyroxine 75mcg, 5mg Ramipril for high blood pressure and 3.75mg Bisoprolol Fumarate for an irregular heart beat.  After a period of being palpitation-free, I've recently started having them again on a daily basis.  I spoke to my GP a couple of days ago and she increased my dose of Bisoprolol Fumarate to 5mg.  She also booked me in for a thyroid blood test and ECG, both of which I had yesterday.  I haven't started taking the higher dose of Bisoprolol yet because I am a bit concerned.  My BP is fine but my  pulse rate has dropped to 46 or 47 and I'm worried that if I take the increased dose, it will drop still further.  Yet I need to take the medication to stop the palpitations.  I am seeing the doc on Monday, but I really don't know what to do in the meantime.  Any suggestions please?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi tris132,

the bisoprolol initially lowers your heart rate quite low but below 50 is certainly a cause for concern,I think you need to switch to another treatment choice after considering your age and other risk factors if any.Its better to have an evaluation by a Doctor personally .

• Posted

Thanks Drasadaf, kathleen and valrae for your replies.  My BP is fine - it's just the low heart rate which is concerning me at the moment and I don't know if it's safe to continue taking a low dose of Bisoprolol until I see my GP on Monday.  I'm just about to go to bed and can't face the idea of lying there hour after hour with the palpitations going on (over 3 hours already now).  So I think I'm going to risk half a Bisoprolol and hope for the best.  I took a tablet at 1.30 this morning so missed out my usual morning dose).  
  • Posted

I am in a similar situation over Bisoprolol, but I also take NDT and have been taking 25mcg Levrothyroxine. I have also recently been in hospital twice with Atrial Fibrillation and put on 3.75mg Bisoprolol, but have recently and still getting over it a very nasty stomach bug which I think came from a person who recently had the flu jab, but in turn I believe it was made worse by the Bisoprolol so I have lowered it down as I cannot have it doing that. Bisoprolol masks the symptoms of an overactive thyroid which can be caused by too much thyroid medication. I have also heard that it slows the thyroid down which would make me more prone to picking up an infection and in turn Afib. Whilst in hospital when my  BP and pulse dropped they put saline into me to raise the  BP and pulse, but you mention that you are also taking a pill for BP so has you BP also dropped low. Is your temperature low in the mornings as well.

When I was also in hospital which in turn I have put in a complaint about is that they locked my thyroid medication away so they did not know the impact of Bisoprolol on the thyroid medication. Another thing is that when hospitalised for Afib I have also had urine retention and at times had to have a catheter but in turn it could be to do with the mesh TVT that is causing problems. I personally do not think that Bisoprolol is a good idea for thyroid patiernts to take, so pushing it through a complaints process. Was the ECG OK. Have you also had an Eccocardiogramn.

• Posted

Thanks Drasadaf, kathleen and valrae for your replies.  My BP is fine - it's just the low heart rate which is concerning me at the moment and I don't know if it's safe to continue taking a low dose of Bisoprolol until I see my GP on Monday.  I'm just about to go to bed and can't face the idea of lying there hour after hour with the palpitations going on (over 3 hours already now).  So I think I'm going to risk half a Bisoprolol and hope for the best.  I took a tablet at 1.30 this morning so missed out my usual morning dose).  
  • Posted

I'm not sure if I can Help you, but for many years before I was diagnosed with under active thyroid I always had a heart rate of 47 to 49 and my temp ran low. (97's). I was also taking BP medication Atenolol. Well about 2 years ago I had an atrial Fib episode and ended in the emercency room. Next day my Doc ran a TSH test on me and found out I was 4.87. She immediately put me on 50 mcg levothyroxine. Went to cardio Doc and he put me on one full aspiren a day to thin blood. But since I've been on Levothyroxine my heart rate is much better and they lowered my Atenolol as it slows heart rate. Unfortunately its hard for Doc's to see a atrial fibralation on a ECG everytime you have one unless your having an active episode at the time. But hypo thyroid does affect the heart. They think my atrial fib happened because of my thyroid. Haven't had one since I started on Levothyroxine. Not that I'm aware of. I hope you get everything sorted out. Atrial Fibrilation is no fun.
    • Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.