Palpitations at different speed to pulse

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

Recently I've noticed that especially when I'm lying in bed late at night I get a sense of fast and sometimes quite irregular palpitations or fluttering in the upper chest. I notice it especially if i am sleeping with earplugs in. But if I check my pulse on my neck often the beat seems normal and not related to the palpitations, or sometimes it's like the beat corresponds to some of the palpitations but there are extra pulsations in between. Do you know what might cause this? I also sometimes get a sense of my heart speeding up and feeling it in my chest if I'm anxious/upset by something but am not sure if this is related. A few weeks ago i had an electrocardiogram but it showed nothing unusual but I wasn't having an episode of feeling these pulsations at that point. Also I take medication for hbp and have noticed it's higher than usual lately and less well controlled. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this. Ps. Lately I also notice quite a lot of variation of heart rate on taking my bp, anywhere from around 53 to 83.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liv,

I take Dofetilide and Pradaxa to manage my AFib as well as Losartan for HBP. I also sometimes get similar palpitations/skipped beats right after laying down, but they usually subside in a minute or two. I assume this is due to my heart adjusting to the change in circulatory dynamic of being horizontal after being vertical all day. My EP has advised that skipped beats are nothing to worry about, but you may want to run it by your EP/cardiologist for peace of mind.

Sounds like your HR is pretty normal. I use my Apple Watch to monitor mine, especially while exercising.

Good luck and improved health to you!

Patrick

• Posted

OK thanks 😃 And have you noticed at all that they seem different from the actual beat of your pulse?

• Posted

hi there, when did you start experiencing palpitations after laying down to bed resting? how often do you feel it? and do you still experience it until now? i've been experiencing it too lately and the only change i've done was doing sit ups everyday now. I exercise everyday push ups and sit ups 2 15mins work out everyday..my last EKG and bloodwork was Feb and it was all fine except slighlty low Potassium level. i will appreciate any input from you guys.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.