palpitations...do I ignore them or not?

Posted , 4 users are following.

9 days ago I went to a&e with a fast pulse at 135bpm but they put it all down to anxiety my heart was racing like mad and it was skipping beats. I went days feeling unwell and scared and this week I have had non stop palpitations ie skipped beat feeling daily weather I'm sitting down or standing/walking. When I get them I feel sick and scared. I have had a few today and just now it puts me on edge and I feel worried. The ecg the hospital done 9 days ago was fine just fast obviously. I have a cardiology appointment booked for next month although all tests last year were normal ie ecgs(a fair few), urine samples, event recorder, 24 hour bp monitor, x rays and an echo end of 2012. Should I be worried and going to a&e if the palpitations keep happening? Wednesday was the worst day for it I was having them all day on and off. Today theres been a few skipped beats sensations around 4. I am only 27 and just feel at a loss I dont know what to do when I keep getting told anxiety but why do they happen while I'm relaxing? I have been feeling dizzy but again I have felt this way the past couple of years so Its not just came on from all of this. I am not sure if its all related but I have been bleeding for nearly 6 weeks now after a miscarriage but its just like a period but gynaecology are not concerned and have said to get my GP to give me a tablet to stop it this week if its no better. I really dont know whats wrong with me I just feel so alone and like a broken record.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

The bleeding has probably made you very anxious..i had palpatations alot,,often so often i think because i couldnt quit thinking about them well it became a cycle.your subconscious when you think you are relaxed is probably still causing them . Palpatations are a sign of anxiety and in most cases are not a threat.try telling yourself its just the anxiety and dont be afraid.The key if it is caused by anxiety is to not fear the palpatations.
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply. Did yours calm down? I was looking back at some of my old posts and I mentioned having palpitations back then like 10 months ago to. I never suffered like this with any health worries until after having my daughter 3 years ago. I am trying so hard not to fear them. I just want my life back I want to feel how I used to just healthy and normal I miss that person. Everytime I have a palpitation it sets off an adrenaline rush which makes me feel terrible. I hear that alot about the subconscious but If only there was a way to reset everything.
    • Posted

Yes i rarely get them..only if i concentate on fearing them i will get them.its a normal part of anxiety,lots of info on the net. Try telling yourself you are ok and try to ignore them.If the doctor says you are ok,Just try and let it go.I even used to say i wont think about them now if i do wont do til a later date..wierd but it woked
  • Posted

Hows diet do you eat alot of junk food or what about the smell of coffee do you smoke ciggs. If you answered yesto any of those 3 ? then my friend slow it dowm.Wwhen I first became ill I becaame so over weight that the heart attacks and strokes did ccome with a vengeance. Stay away fom vengeance take better care of yourself i am sure you will see a instant difference. Lets hope ok eric K
    • Posted

I dont smoke or drink coffee although my diet could be healthier but its not bad either. I am average weight but do need to loose some weight but to look at me I do look slim/curvy so its not weight that is noticable. Thank you for the reply.
  • Posted

When i was having them alot,i believe the doctor mentioned a beta blocker could help Its ben along time..but i think that was the drug.also low dose prescribed anxiety meds helped me.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage unfortunately when this happens you do bleed for quite a long time i bleed for a good 2 months plus, as for the pulpertations if you can't cope and you don't mind taking medication ask the doctor for a beta blocker to calm your heart down I take propanranol 10mg twice a day for my pulpertations and it works well for me but medication isn't for everyone discuss it with your gp, I also take sertraline for my anxiety but we are all different and handle things in a different way x
    • Posted

Hi Emma thank you for the reply. Well I did try Propranalol early 2014 when all this started at this level but I had chest pains and panicked and stopped taking after a few days but it makes me wonder now if it was just anxiety causing that. I then went on to try Sertraline and omg I felt terrible I seriously thought I was dying I was badly nauseous and shaking then had a bad turn one night I had to go to a walk in centre to see a doctor I was that close from calling an ambulance I was weak, clammy, pale and pulse felt slow and I was getting chills I was so scared so stopped them right away. I then tried Fluoxetine which I lasted around 11 days and stopped not because of side affects but because I felt to anxious and scared about being on them. I wish I knew what to do for the best I just know this has been going on so long having anxiety it affects my life daily I dont want to feel like this anymore. Does medication help you? I was hoping to try again for a baby once Ive stopped bleeding so I think medication may be out of the question for me.
    • Posted

This is the first time I've been on medication for this length of time, I tried citalopram a few years ago before my first so was born but had a bad reaction to it so in the end went cold turkey and over time my anxiety went away then in 2013 it came back started with headaches etc that just escalated beyond control every day I was anxious, panicking, sweating, shaking, felt dizzy, sick and had heart pulpertations it was a horrendous time then September last year I found out I was pregnant again and all through my pregnancy my anxiety disappeared completely then in May this year a few weeks after my son was born it all came back and it's been there ever since, I've tried so much and had loads of tests etc but still feel crap, I have been taking the sertraline for 5 weeks now and yes it made me a complete loon the first few weeks but think I'm now over the worst, I think they are starting to work I have good and bad days but it's still there always niggling away at me! The propanranol work to an extent but they bring on other unwanted side effects it's just a vicious circle x
    • Posted

Ahh just reading your reply made me tear up because I can relate to it all. Mine all started from the birth of my daughter It went on for a couple of years where I felt terrible and scared and bad tinnitus but it eventually calmed down but it got worse 2 years ago Jan and its been bad ever since. How did you cope when it was at its worst? Did you take anything then? Its funny how pregnancy made yours go maybe hormones played a part. I'm currently at home and feel so emotional I could cry but wont infront of my daughter and partner I have had palpitations tonight ie skipped beats, flutters and racing and its set off an adrenaline rush through me where I feel sick and weak. I feel so scared and I am just so fed up I just dont know what to do anymore I feel like my life is pointless I struggle to even get through the day I cant even drive or go out alone because of the symptoms ie dizziness. I honestly feel like I'm dying. I dont even wanna move because I am worried its gonna trigger the palpitations but I have to because of my daughter. I even wonder if having another child is selfish because me being anxious and unwell wouldn't be good for a baby growing inside me. I did even wonder if thats what caused my miscarriage. Did you used to get palpitations randomly like myself and more like skipped beats?x
    • Posted

I don't know how I coped back when I first got it, I remember worrying about this and that then I had a ct scan once it came back normal I decided without medication to lay it all to rest and slowly it just disappeared but then out of the blue 2 years later it came back and spiralled beyond belief it effected everything my work, my family and my life, I get very dizzy then I get facial numbness, followed by really bad heart pulpertations and shakes the list goes on but like I said when I feel pregnant again it's as if things just disappeared all my attention was focused on the baby and I felt amazing (well really poorly with morning, noon & night sickness) but I wasn't anxious I had zero anxiety then once the baby was here a simple headache then set it all off! I had a spell of 3 weeks when I couldn't get up I was so dizzy, I went to the docs 3 times a week a&e you name it I tried it, they gave me all sorts of tablets some made me worse some did nothing, I've had blood tests, scans, seen neurologists, dentists and ent surgeons and none of them have found anything they all still think it's anxiety! Sometimes the heart pulpertations are so bad I can't sleep and sometimes it wakes me up, I can't talk to anyone either really as no-one understands what's going on, I am waiting to have some counselling to see if this helps but who knows, it's just the I don't know where there source is or what's firing the anxiety I suppose though if we did we could fix it, your not alone in all this it's a bloody nightmare and when there is kids involved it's harder still, i honestly know what your going through its really rubbish right now, if you want to private message feel free don't know about u but I always find talking helps lots gets things out u wanna say to someone hi gets its xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.