palpitations. Heart flutters

Posted , 2 users are following.

After Christmas drinks, during a bit of a hangover I experienced a heart fluttering that lasted for a minute and really scared me. Been having palpitations since and occasionally have strange heart sensations when trying to sleep. Like adrenaline rushes that keep me awake afterward

I visited the ER and they did an ECG and found nothing. Doctor didn't find anything strange.

Last night I partook in drinks with friends. I over indulged and today and I got the same flutters.

I'm worried I have alcoholic cardiomyopathy. Anybody experienced this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had the same sensations after drinking too much and "overdoing it" 3 years ago. I also had bouts of abnormal heart rhythm and fluttering. I still get them after over indulging which is rarely now as I know what will happen. I also used to get the strange sensations in my chest accompanied by a brief feeling of doom and then an adrenaline rush type feeling. I had several trips to ER and nothing found every time. . For me it was the beginning of a rare form of angina but that's not necessarily the case for you. As time passed I developed aching in my shoulder and jaw at rest. I get mild cramping sensations in my left forearm and upper left chest too. My breathing is affected (feeling as though I cant get a deep breath at times). I have had every test you can think of including a CT angiogram and nothing shows up. I am told I likely have MVD (microvascular dysfunction) as my coronary arteries are clear and symptoms are not associated with exertion unless I really overdo it like sprinting. Symptoms occur at rest or after drinking too much. Never whilst drunk! Always the days after. The sensations for me are caused by spasms in the smaller arteries the tests cant see. I have been prescribed a gtn spray and calcium channel blockers that I refuse to take as the side affects are not worth it. I find that magnesium helps (helps maintain heart rhythm) and also L Arginine (relaxes the blood vessels). Your body is firing warning shots. Telling you to slow down and take it easy. Do you have any family history of heart problems? Do you smoke? How old are you?

My advice would be to take it easy and live healthily for a while. If it persists then ask for further testing to rule anything serious out.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. And advice. I plan to spend a few months eating healthily.

Now getting pain in neck, arms and chest. Like pinching sensations. Not painful but noticeable and very light and occasional fluttering in chest. The palpitations have actually gone though.

• Posted

Hi. Your welcome. What part of the world are you from? Hopefully you have access to free medical care, I would insist on further testing to be on the safe side.

Its good that you don't smoke, just lay of the beer for a while, eat well and exercise if you can. I was 37 when i started with symptoms. I too have a family history of heart problems. My mum has heart problems and also her brother and sister. My granddad (mums dad) and all 5 of his brothers died young from heart attacks... Great outlook eh!

I'm no doctor but when I saw your symptoms it reminded me of my first symptoms. I struggled to find anybody with similar symptoms and ended up at every medical dept. you can think of, ruling out different disorders. No doc has a magic wand or x-ray vision, sometimes it can be difficult to get a diagnosis, especially if your ECG and scans appear normal.

I too have had pinching sensations in my chest and pain down the inside of my arms. The base of the left side of my neck aches intensely at times, even the left side of my head and face when it is bad.

There is no guarantee this is your heart, I hope it isn't . It could be as simple as a vitamin deficiency, hormonal, musculo-skeletal, psychological, or just your body saying slow down I don't like this! Have your vitamin D checked, also vitamin B12 and magnesium, all can cause palpitations/flutters among many other things. Don't immediately convince yourself this is your heart and get anxious about it as that too can cause flutters and palpitations on its own. The human body is very complex. Its a great thing.. until it goes wrong! I hope you get to the bottom of your problem and get better soon.

• Posted

I don't smoke. I am thirty

Grandmother has CaCardiomyopathy

• Posted

Just to add... Alcohol is well known for depleting magnesium and B vitamins and can lead to all kinds of problems including palpitations etc.. Do some research on the internet. Have your vitamins checked and supplement as needed. It might just do the trick.

Ill get off my soap box now 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.