Palpitations, many triggers - anyone had this or have recommendations?

Posted , 1 user is following.

For 7/8 years I have had palpitations which can be caused by many things. A description of the palpitations are a forceful thumping which can be extremely strong at times. It is never irregular and the main issue it causes is interrupting my sleep. I do not have a problem falling asleep with the palpitations, but they stop me getting deep sleep. I do not have health anxiety at all, I know the palpitations aren't dangerous.

It can be caused by many things weightlifting, most supplements, listening to music in my headphones. I do not believe it is psychological as once they built up out of nowhere and I realized after that my cereal had fortified vitamin D3 in it, which has always caused the palpitations in me. Also, when the palpitations are occuring, beta blockers do very little.

I am writing this because last night I took a magnesium supplement, supposed to help palpitations, but reacted to it in this way. When they come on they typically last for a couple days. I have had an echocardiogram, ECG, MRI scan which are all fine.

These palpitations drive me nuts when I get them because they ruin the quality of my sleep. When I had anxiety in the past I would have trouble falling asleep, but now I don't. I can get a full 8 hours, but if I have the palpitations it is very shallow and affects my mood, undeniabley this makes worse.

I really don't know what to do, I know my heart is healthy. I'm sure a lot of people will jump to say anxiety, but I really don't think it is because I don't have health anxiety and if it was adrenaline based surely the beta blockers would work?

Has anyone been in this situation or could offer advice?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.