Palpitations on and off

Posted , 9 users are following.

I get heart palpitations at night mostly. When I am on the couch relaxing. I have been to cardiologist, but they still scare me. My whole chest feels different. It's not exactly pain. I am just very aware of it. Feels like fluttering? Almost like my heart is going crazy, but it isn't. Then, I think I experience anxiety because of it. Right now, I am dealing with some kind of bronchial infection. I was on antibiotics about three weeks ago and it didn't knock the infection out. So I went back and they put me on prednisone and albuterol. I think the albuterol started this whole thing. I think the palpitations act up obviously with the albuterol, but also when I am sick. They seem to get worse. Anyone else experience this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Just to be safe I would recommend you get a d-dimer blood test. I started getting palpitations while sitting down and couldn't work out what was happening for ages. I later started to get other symptoms, like not being able to take a full breath, suffocating chest pain, a scratchy feeling in my lung, a morning cough, hot flashes, freezing cold moments and really bad anxiety. It turned out I had multiple pulmonary emboli which I wish I had found out a bit sooner because I had symptoms for ages. I wasn't tested for PEs because I wasn't the typical person who would get them, they are rare and this may not be what you have, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

• Posted

Thank you for your information. I actually was able to get into the cardiologist for tomorrow and will definitely mention this! I had an xray recently but I just read you may not be able to see an embolism. Thank you. How are you doing? That is really scary that you had that for so long! How are you?

• Posted

I am OK thanks but my lungs haven't been the same since. Every time I get a virus my right lung really hurts which is where most of the emboli were. I have also started to wheeze a little which I never had a problem with before. It is best to catch this early so less damage is done. My pulse oximeter showed 98% when tested, they listened to my chest gave me a chest Xray and said I was fine and my blood pressure was only a little high. I only got diagnosed because I organised a chest CT scan with contrast privately because I could feel something was wrong. I didn't know at the time there was a blood test that could have indicated whether I was at risk or I would have asked for it first because the CT scan was quite unpleasant and gives out a lot of radiation.

• Posted

Hi

Just seeing your post mentions prednisone I have ILD (interstitial lung disease) & I was going to take that medication until I saw that the side effects were worsening of epilepsy -which isnt any good for me

As regards the heart Sometimes when I breathe in I get what feels to me like a flutter even when Im in the warm. I've never had palpitations though

Ive got to wait until July to get my results because Im having dual respiratory/rheumatology which is a 2 month clinic

• Posted

Avoid stimulating foods and drinks that aggravate the palpitations. That includes caffeine whether in coffee or chocolate, and alcohol.

• Posted

Ive had these palpitations for some years now and when it increased to most of the day I did go to see GP, referred to cardiology who fitted me with monitor for 48 hours. He also adjusted my Ramipril up to 10mg. When I went back he said there was nothing to worry about. I was not convinced but the palpitations are behaving a bit better now and like you, mainly in evening. Do notice them more when Im having a glass if red wine, but thats something I shall have to suffer.

I suppose if a cardiologist is not concerned to much then I can try to live with it although it is uncomfortable and sometimes worrying but there are worse things in life.

Hope all goes well with you.

Regards, Dave.

• Posted

No -never experienced this at all what did your cardiologist say - would it be anything to do with allergies do you think

• Posted

Iv'e never experienced this have you see your GP

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.