Palpitations & propranolol

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys - so for the last 12 months I’ve been on 10mg propranolol, three times a day for heart palpitations. I also have slightly high blood pressure so the beta blocker took care of that. My palpitations would disappear for a few weeks but then on an evening it’s all I was having. My Dr up’d my dose to 40mg twice daily. My palpitations have since disappeared, however my  resting pulse is around 55, and the side affects are brutal, the dizziness and nausea have ‘upped their game’ I’m now concerned my pulse is too low and that in turn is causing the dizziness. Does anyone have any experience in anything like this? Thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've had heart palpitations on and off for a number of years. They come and go... sometimes worse than other times. My cardiologist says they are PVC's and nothing to be concerned about. But when I have them frequently and strong - they are hard to ignore. And they create a lot of anxiety for me. I take a beta blocker (Coreg ER - 20mg) one a day. I don't drink much at all... but I've read that alcohol will contribute to the palpitations as well as too much salt. I watch what I eat and drink, but they still will come and go. I found a recommendation from someone on this website that suggested magnesium supplements. I didn't realize there are different types of magnesium. So I bought some. And since I have been taking them, I think they have cut down of the frequency and strength of the palpitations. I can't say for sure, but after a couple of months of taking these supplements, I have had very few palpitations, and if I do have one here and there, they are barley noticeable. So will continue taking them and see how it goes. These supplements are called Triple Calm Magnesium and I bought them from Amazon. They have 3 different types of magnesium. I like the fact that they are natural and not chemical drugs.It might be worth looking in to. Good luck to you.

• Posted

I'm on metropolol..50 mg for palpitations.. it doesn't help me at all.. nighttime seems worse for me too. I've gone to 3 doctors. had 9 EKGs, a echo cardiogram, a stress test a 48 hr Monitor. I also have BP..it's controlled with water pill and another.. I'm ready to go to clinic in Jacksonville that specializes in palpitations 3 hrs away. Not one of these docs could tell if my heart is in harm's way...Good luck

• Posted

Very similar here, drs have said my heart is fine, I’ve had numerous ekg’s, had an x-ray due to a suspected heart attack, 24 hour holter moniter and  an ct scan all came back in the clear. My palpitations seem to disappear for a week or so, then they always seem to come back!
    • Posted

Hi Salon, I live close to Jacksonville, in St. Augustine. Could you give me the name of the clinic? I want to give it a try too!! Thank you,
  • Posted

Beta blockers are kind of an indirect way to address palpitations, it's something doctors seem to start with because there aren't a lot of other choices.

A lot of medicine is trying stuff and balancing the results.

• Posted

For healthy person 55 resting pulse is quite good  I think ??? I’m not an expert though . My resting pulse is always between 54-58. Do you exercise at all ?
    • Posted

Not particularly, my resting heart rate on the 10mg was around the high 70’s it’s lowered since I went on the 40mg. A common side affect of the beta blockers. I was just worried it’s lowering it too much!
    • Posted

Sorry I meant to say I take my pulse and blood pressure first thing in the morning while I am still in bed.

My pulse registers at around 75 - 80 but I know I have quite a fast heart rate. I am on bisoprolol which are beta blockers. Without the tablets my heart rate would be well over 100 at resting. We are all so very different. I have seen a cardiologist who said everything was fine.

Sarah

• Posted

Have you been referred to a Cardiologist or are you just seeing a GP?

May be worth trying to get a referral.

Let me know how you get on.

Keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I'm on 10mg propanolol 4 times a day for anxiety which causes my palpitations but I still get heart racing now and then and I'm wanting to try magnesium supplements with my propanolol to try and end this problem bc I'm sick of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.