Palpitations- should I get this checked out??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys. So I’ve had palpitations once in a blue moon since I was little. Yearly checkups went smoothly and having these once in awhile is normal. For the last month and a half, possibly 2 months, I’ve been having palpitations at least x1/week. They’re short, only a few seconds, they start suddenly and go suddenly. They’re just an annoyance, and I figured I should get my heart checked out from that based on the frequency. It didn’t bother me much though. 

Last night I had a palpitation unlike anything I experienced in terms of duration. I was lying down when it started, so I sat back up thinking it would fix it- it didn’t. It went on for what felt like forever (I’m gonna say 10 seconds). It freaked me out to the point where I was trying to think of what to do- should I call 911, my parents, etc. since I was babysitting at the time. The beat for all my palpitations is irregular, it feels like someone is shaking my heart up or put it in a blender honestly. 

I got a little lightheaded from that one, but no blackouts. I did have to keep massaging my chest because I felt tiny palpitations after that and some pressure/unease for the next half hour. 

I’m 21, my grandmother died of some heart failure around her early 50s. I’m still thinking nothing is wrong with me but the last palpitations had me tearing up from fear. I’m very sure this isn’t from stress, I don’t drink caffeine, don’t take drugs, any of those culprits it’s a no. 

I don’t get it. Should I go see a dr? Does it sound like I need to be checked out?

Thanks <3

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Having palpitations can mean that you're stressing too much. It happens when our heart skips a beat or just...speeds up for a while. If you keep thinking about it, it will get worse... Take a deep breath, and tell yourself everything is okay. Go for a heart checkup if its worrying you too much or if it starts to hurt . if u start having weird and , burning type of pain in your chest, arms or your neck and jaw, especially on the left side, seek medical attention immediately

Im 21 and I've been having continuous palpitations for more than 6 months now...I was freaked out at first because I has pain in my chest and left arm too. But didn't find anything in any kind of tests... So I figured its stress... But it still doesn't go thou and still bothers me

Hope you get better soon!

• Posted

I am 35 and have been dealing with palpitations since I was a teenager.  They don’t hurt and rarely effect my breathing.  I have had check ups with my cardiologist and I always get the all clear everything is ok.   For me they are the worst when I lay down to go to bed and can last hours which keeps me up.  I would recommend consulting a dr just so they are aware and you get peace of mind.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.