Palpitations - sudden introduction of lengthy spells...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all,

On Friday, I experienced something I haven't had before in a lengthy spell of heart palpitations. They went on for at least two-an-a-half hours and were accompanied by slight dizziness, shortness of breath, a tight chest and a bit of chest pain. I went to A&E - by which time the palpitations had stopped - and was given an all-clear after a blood press test and an ECG.

Doctor told me chest pain was probably only muscle pain - something I do not agree with as I didn't have it before or the day after, and I hadn't done any exercise for a week due to a cold.

Today (Monday) I have had the same thing happen to me - palpitations on and off all morning. I went for a run this morning, but they started some time after I had returned (at least two hours) and they won't dtop. Have a bit of pain again and shortness of breath.

I have asthma and regulalry use my bricanyl inhaler - no other meds bar the occasional paracetemol or ibuprofen. I have had a few minor palpitations in the past - but they are just for a second or two, rather than a matter of hours.

All a bit worrying! Any advice? Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi robmfletcher

Ive had palpitation during my teens. And everytime i had my check ups results were a ok. But during the course of the day. I couldnt lay down and rest because i could feel my heart throbbing. I remmember my dr

Gave me inderal 25 mgs. To ease the palpis and valium 2 i think to keep me calm. Because i knew it all starts with anxiety then panic sets in. Now after 34 years i have arrythmia. Bummer. My advise is dont let it get into you. I know the feeling when your dr

Says nothing is wrong with you.but you feel otherwise. . think again bro.. Pls listen to your body. Seek a second .third opinion. Might do you good. Hope all ends well

• Posted

Re your symptoms, Rob.  I think a lot of us on this forum will recognise them.  They basically come from a heart beating either irregularly and/or too fast.  Have you taken your pulse when this is happening?  I have been told that these symptoms are not dangerous, merely a nuisance but, when they are happening, they are unpleasant and frightening,

I would advise that you see your GP and tell him or her exactly what you have told us here.  He or she will most likely prescribe a beta blocker and an anticoagulant.  They will help.  And don't stress about them, stress makes things worse!

i have had benefit from taking a daily dose of magnesium and, also, a B complex vitamin tablet.  You could try these, you can't overdose as your body will excrete what it doesn't need.  Apart from that, vagus nerve stimulation when the palpitations are happening may help (hold your breath and bear down hard).  It often works fr a while.

good luck and let us know how you get on!

Pam

• Posted

Hi,if they are still bothering you go back to GP.Probably totally different to you but I had ectopic beats earlier in year.GP said everything ok.I then had a blackout which she thought was almost certainly another heart attack.Good news-no longer have ectopic beats but now have fluid on lungs and swollen ankles and back under cardiologist -it's a funny old world.?

• Posted

Hi gillian

So to hear about your. Swollen ankles.. Fluid in the lungs? Water retention.. Unless you have a kidney issue, ot weak heart? Ive seen these signs before from my brother in law. I hope its. Ok. Keep us posted. If i may ask how did your ectopic issues cease? Thru meds or other means. Hear from you soon

• Posted

Sorry for the typo errors. And missing letters Its really hard typing with these blasted android phones.
    • Posted

Ectopic heartbeats stopped after whatGP said was heart attack (Had typical chest pain and pain in jaw and last thought before I went out like a light being switched off was-I must get my spray).Came round 55-90minutes later (looked at clock) and hey presto no more ectopic.Thought heart must have rebooted like a computer-oh fool me😀

• Posted

Hi Gillian. How many ectopics you had every day and how did they stop?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.