Palps with Elevated Heartrate

Posted , 3 users are following.

So after being diagnosed with new onset aFib in January 2018 and having an electro cardioversion, I am taking Pradaxa and having what I assume are palpitations, PACS or PVCS with an elevated heart rate for a few minutes afterwards. These usually occur on my daily bike rides.

How do I know if these are PACS, PVCS or just harmless palpitations? My heart rate can go up to 170-180 and take several minutes to come down after I stop to rest. While it is not painful, I can definitely feel something is happening in my chest and brings anxiety.

Can anyone describe what it feels like to have a PAC or PVC? Do they usually produce an elevated heart rate?

I am currently wearing a 30 day monitor to determine what is going on but would appreciate feedback from any who have experienced these.

Regards,

Patrick

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

For me they can feel as severe as somebody snatching your breath away, when I am lying down, they feel like tiny muffled explosions that send a shock-wave down my legs. When I lie on my left, it feels like a have a fish flopping against the inside of my chest. Lessor ones can just feel like a strange movement in my chest, a sort of hollow feeling . 

I bought my own ECG machine, a Prince 180B so I can even show you what they look like if you click the box. The ones that Drop down are the PVC ectopic beats.

• Posted

Very interesting, Peter! I’m sure your graph means more to the trained eye.I am still considering the Kardia Mobile option but am concerned of getting another device that may cause even  more anxiety. In fact, I recently bought an Apple Watch as it provides the option of adding the KardiaBand in the future. So far, I find the heart rate monitor app (Cardiogram) on the Watch very helpful, but it doesn’t do an ECG/EKG as the Kardia units do.

So are you experiencing PACS, PVCS, SVTS, or what? Do they increase your heart rate? I am logging everything I eat hoping I can find what triggers these events. Do you know what your triggers are? Mine usually happen on my bike rides, but I haven’t found what triggers them. At times, they will come just minutes after I get on my bike and I have to stop, and other times like today, I can do a 25 mile ride with no symptoms at all. Weird.

Thanks again for your response and best to you going forward!

Patrick

• Posted

Mine are PVCs, the V being Ventricular, you can see how when they join together constantly, they then form Ventricular Tachycardia which I had an ablation for a year ago. heart beat might be a touch higher with them, the thing to be aware of though is that these monitors look for a peak, the R wave, to count for your pulse, here is one of my ecgs where the little bump that normally follows the spike of the R wave, its called the T wave, well sometimes when I am feeling really ill, my little bump T wave actually becomes a spike that is higher then the R wave it follows when this happens, these machines can show a heartbeat that is twice as fast as its actually beating. I was surprised once to see my pulse recorded at 184 just slow walking, it wasn't of course. 

Ectopic beats can also have the effect of making your heart look like its beating faster than it is.

• Posted

Hi Patrick, sorry you are having this problem. Maybe you are having short runs of afib with exercise? I don't know. You should talk to your Dr. Are you taking anything for rate control? Your rate is pretty high .Talk to Dr. Best wishes!! Mabel. I have afib to but on a beta blocker. Keeps my rate down. But I still get skips( do not know if they are Pvc or Pace) But only a few everyday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.